- Item (Quantity)Rate
- Internal NPC ID: 441
The Tax Collector is a Hardmode NPC that taxes other housed NPCs to earn coins for players. He is obtained by throwing Purification Powder on a Tortured Soul, a rare Underworld enemy. The enemy will transform into the Tax Collector, and if killed, he will respawn like all other town NPCs so long as a vacant house is available.
When the Tax Collector is present,
50*50 will be earned per real-world minute (each in-game hour), for each NPC that has a house – including the Tax Collector himself. The Tax Collector stores these funds, up to 99000000*99 / 100000*10 . Speaking to him will reveal the amount stored thus far, and offer the option to collect.
The Tax Collector will attack nearby enemies with his cane to defend himself.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Funds can be collected at any time, and do not require a minimum amount stored.
- When the Tax Collector's maximum storage of
100000*10 or 99000000*99 is reached, he will not collect any further coins until the player collects from him.
- Time passed using the Enchanted Sundial counts towards his total.
- Time passed using the journey-mode time menu counts towards his total.
- In multiplayer, each player's earned taxes are separately maintained, and collecting has no impact on another player's payout.
- The Tax Collector cannot be teleported using either King or Queen Statue.
- He will not participate in Parties , or even wear a party hat. However, it is still possible for him to throw a party.
- The Tax Collector will keep the debuffs inflicted on him when changed from a Tortured Soul into himself.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- With 20 town NPCs, the Tax Collector will collect
1000*10 every minute, collecting 20000*2 4000*40 per in-game day.
- When searching for a Tortured Soul, make sure all minions are dismissed so they will not kill it. Note that a Tortured Soul can respawn like any other enemy, should the minions kill it.
- It is advisable to always carry Purification Powder in the inventory when travelling to the Underworld.
Living Preferences [edit | edit source]
|Neighbours||None||Merchant, Party Girl||Demolitionist, Mechanic||Santa Claus|
Names[edit | edit source]
The Tax Collector may have any of the following names.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Must everyone open and shut doors so incredibly noisily around here?!"
- "I see you're free of time, as usual. Can't imagine what work life would be for your kind of folk."
- "...two barrels of molasses, plus -- Oh, nevermind that, you're here. Here's your money."
- "What does a man have to do to be left alone in this place? Go bugger someone less busy!"
- "You again? Suppose you want more money!?"
- "Yes, yes, yes! -- I'll give you your share in just a moment. I'd think you to be a bit more patient, what with me doing all the work and all."
When Dryad is present:
- "Tried to get <name of Dryad> to pay me with favors once, now I have fungus growing in strange places."
When Arms Dealer is present:
- "Go tell <name of Arms Dealer> to stop offering to pay me with ammo, I don't even own a gun."
When Demolitionist is present:
- "Why don't YOU try collecting money from <name of Demolitionist> and not lose a hand or foot or..."
When Merchant is present:
- "I just came from <name of Merchant>'s. He wanted to know if I took credit cards."
During a Windy Day:
- "Bah! If this wind keeps up, people will lose their precious possessions and stop paying me!"
- "Just because your house blows down, doesn’t mean you stop paying taxes!"
When in a Graveyard:
- "Death and taxes, nothing more sure in life than that!"
- "The people here aren't paying up! They are better off dead! Oh, perhaps they already are."
When player clicks "Collect":
- When player clicks "Collect" when some money is collected:
- "Here's your cut of the taxes that I've taken from our surplus population!"
- "Here you are again, taking all my coin! Just grab it and begone from my sight!"
- "Bah! Here, take your shillings and get out of my sight!"
- "This is all you're gonna get for now, not a penny more! Take it and spend it wisely."
- When player clicks "Collect" when there is no money to be collected:
- "...And people call me greedy? No, I have nothing else for you."
- "Oh, so you just see me as a coin sign, eh? 'Cus every time you see me, you ask me."
- "Don't you ever stop just to say 'Hi?'"
- "Bah! You again? You just grabbed some of my coin just moments ago, so bugger off and come back later!"
- "I just gave you half a crown five minutes ago! Scram!"
- "Reaching into my moneybags again already!? And you call ME greedy."
- "You just received your pay, and not a farthing more! Get out!"
- "Money doesn't grow on trees, so don't overpick my fruit! Bah!"
- "You already managed to spend every pence I paid you!? Bah, I'm not a charity, go kill a slime!"
- "Not so fast! You got your money, now begone!"
- "Begging so soon?! Don't look at me like I'll have a change of heart overnight!"
Happiness Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "How can a man of my riches have no home? Preposterous!"
When far from home:
- "Bah! I’m trying to make my way back home to count my money. Begone!"
When in a sparse area:
- "Finally, isolation from all these miserable peasants!"
- "Go tell all these miserable poor freeloaders to scram, I hate crowds."
When in a Snow biome:
- "Living in the Snow forces people to stay indoors and leave me alone. I find that pleasant."
When in the Hallow:
- "What kind of irritating place is the Hallow? Poppycock, I tell you!"
When in the Corruption:
- "Even for my standards, the Corruption is beyond miserable!"
When near the Merchant:
- "I highly admire [Name of Merchant] the Merchant. Anyone who knows the true value of money earns my utmost respect!"
When near the Party Girl:
- "Exuberant people tend to give me headaches, but somehow I actually like [Name of Party Girl] the Party Girl. I must be losing my mind!"
When near the Demolitionist:
- "[Name of Demolitionist] the Demolitionist is just too noisy, away with them and their ilk!"
When near the Mechanic:
- "[Name of Mechanic] the Mechanic is just too noisy, away with them and their ilk!"
When near Santa Claus:
- "I loathe the very existence of Santa Claus! What kind of lunatic just gives things away for free?"
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Tax Collector is a reference to Ebenezer Scrooge from the Charles Dickens story A Christmas Carol. Scrooge is a greedy, grumpy old man with a cane and top hat, mutton chops, and a hunched back. Many of his quotes are references to the story. Additionally this is why he prefers the Snow biome and dislikes Christmas and hates Santa.
- The Tax Collector's potential names are all names of well-known U.S. politicians, most of which were at one point president or vice-president.
- The Tax Collector not participating in the Party event, is almost certainly intentional and possibly another reference to Ebenezer Scrooge, as they both do not celebrate.
- In the game files, the Tax Collector has an alternate image of him without a hat: . This would have been originally used to don him with a party hat during a Party.
- Many of his quotes reference colloquial names for pre-decimal units of British currency, such as shillings.
- The quote "Go tell <name of Arms Dealer> to stop offering to pay me with ammo, I don't even own a gun." is possibly a reference to the post-apocalyptic fiction novel Metro 2033, where ammo is used as currency. However, it's more likely that the Arms Dealer is making a veiled threat to shoot the Tax Collector rather than paying him, and the Tax Collector doesn't understand the undertone.
- The quote "Tried to get <name of Dryad> to pay me with favors once, now I have fungus growing in strange places." is a vague sexual reference.
- The line "You already managed to spend every pence I paid you!? Bah, I'm not a charity, go kill a slime!" is a reference to slimes being so easy to kill and make money off them.
- The quote "Just between you and me... I have no idea why they're bothering to pay the rent" exists in the game's source code, but never appears, possibly due to a coding error.
- The chance of The Tax Collector being named "Agnew" is twice as high as any other name, also possibly due to a coding error.
- In the Switch version of the game, there used to be a chance the Tax Collector will be spawned with the name “TaxCollectorNames.Name_20”. The Tax Collector only has 19 names in total, so this is likely a small programming error, this has been fixed in 1.3.5.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.1: Fixed Tax Collector not using some of his special chat dialog.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 184.108.40.206: Introduced.