|Type||Furniture – Mechanism|
|Dimensions||3 wide × 1 high|
|Use time||14 Very Fast|
|Buy / Sell||2 50 / 50|
The Teleporter is a travel mechanism purchased from the Steampunker for 2 50 . When two Teleporters are wired together with a triggering mechanism, they can instantaneously exchange players, NPCs, or enemies between them. Teleporting is always instantaneous, has no load time or cooldown, and has no Mana or coin cost.
Usage[edit | edit source]
The two Teleporters must be placed on a surface of solid blocks or platforms and connected by Wire, along with a trigger mechanism, such as a Switch or Pressure Plate. When the trigger is activated, players, NPCs, or enemies (but not background Critters, items, or other entities) touching the 3x3 tile area above it are instantly transported to the other teleporter. A character standing a maximum of three tile heights above the Teleporter can still be transported, and burying a Teleporter two tiles deep can still transport players walking on the surface.
Teleporting is always two-way: when a connection is activated, both ends will exchange all players, NPCs, and enemies, that are at least partially occupying any square of 3x3 space above Teleporter pads. Players should keep this in mind when constructing Teleporter paths, as enemies could unintentionally be brought into a base, for example.
Limitations[edit | edit source]
- Teleporters will not transport Worms, Bosses, other enemies that travel through blocks, Critters, liquids, item drops, Boulders, or placed furniture.
- A Teleporter will not work when it is placed in front of natural Lihzahrd Brick Walls, if Plantera has not yet been defeated.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- A single Teleporter can be wired to multiple destinations. With access to only a single wire color, each end of a Teleporter pad can be wired to one destination each, for a total of two possible destinations (each must have its own triggering mechanism). Using all four wire colors, each end of the Teleporter can be wired to four destinations each, for a total of eight possible destinations (two red, two blue, two green, and two yellow ).
- The three blocks composing the teleporter can be shaped using a Hammer. This doesn't affect the Teleporter's function, except that the 3x3 space to be teleported and the position of the teleported entity are both relative to the Teleporter's surface; if the teleporter is flattened to half blocks, they will both move down half a block (if the three blocks are different shapes, the height is determined by the first block encountered in the algorithm below). Note that pressure plates can only be placed on full blocks.
- Standing on one spot, with 6 teleporters under you in 2 columns and 2 actuated teleporters behind you, it is possible to have 27 different destinations.
- Other blocks or furniture can be placed on Teleporters. Placed items will not be teleported, nor will they "block" teleportation of entities above them, as long as the entities are still within the 3x3 area of effect.
- If three or more teleporters can be connected to the same colored wire. When this occurs teleportation will be to the furthest away teleporter. This distance is measured in the most direct wire distance, not physical distance (A wire looping around takes more space then a direct straight connection). This distance is also measured from the activating device, (switch, pressure plate, etc) not the entity being teleported. Some multiple trigger, teleporter combinations thus may result in failure to teleport.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- A Pressure Plate can be placed directly on top of a Teleporter as the triggering mechanism, along with a short Wire connection, to allow activation by simply walking onto it.
- If a Pressure Plate is placed to the left or right of the center and then alternated on the connecting Teleporter, the player can walk back and forth between locations without instantly triggering the destination plate.
- Teleporters will also work if the player is riding a minecart, allowing discontiguous track systems to be connected easily (to get around an obstacle for example). The above two points still apply, though with Pressure Plate Tracks.
- Teleporters can be used to create entrances into sealed bases. For Teleporters used with Pressure Plates to access safe zones, use Pressure Plate types that can only be activated by players (gray, brown, blue) to ensure that enemies can't inadvertently activate them and teleport inside.
- Teleporters with Pressure Plate triggers are very useful in Boss Arenas, as they enable instantaneous dodging between remote locations. A player can jump between them continuously while firing Ranged or Magic Weapons.
- Teleporting at night will cause NPCs that haven't moved into their assigned housing to instantly do so, which can be useful.
- Setting a teleporter in front of your home will be useful if you don't want monsters to get inside during a Blood Moon or another event.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The effect when activating a Teleporter resembles Magic Mirror use.
- On the mobile and console version, Teleporters do not release grapples, unlike the PC version.
- Teleporters can be used to place furniture mid-air that usually require a surface under them. Stack two teleporters, place the furniture on the upper teleporter, and then break the lower teleporter. The lower teleporter breaking will deconstruct the upper teleporter, but the furniture on top will not deconstruct. This can be handy for creative aesthetic building, such as placing things atop the column statue.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.1: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Teleporting to a location on the same screen now pans the screen view smoothly from one to the other, instead of flashing the new location instantly. Teleporters used farther apart retain the flash-Magic Mirror-like effect.
- Desktop 1.2.3:
- Distance limit between teleporters removed.
- Using a teleporter tile releases all grapples.
- Fixed a crash when you destroy a teleporter with a chest on top.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.