The Black Spot
|Master Mode-Only Content: This information applies only to Master Mode and Master Mode worlds.|
|Use time||20 (Very fast)|
|Tooltip||Summons the Black Spot mount|
'Arrr! This be mutiny!'
The Pirate Ship Mount has a max horizontal flight speed of 82 mph, a diagonal speed of 91 mph, and a vertical speed of 41 mph, making it the fastest flying mount in the game (tied to submerged Shrimpy Truffle). It moves slightly slower (39 mph) when in a body of water. Upon achieving max speed, a ring of gold particles appears around the player and trails behind the mount, imitating the visual of a sonic boom. Once these particles are displayed, the Pirate Ship Mount begins dealing 100 damage upon ramming enemies. The damage is boosted by items that boost summon damage.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Flying Dutchman can be fought before beating any of the mechanical bosses, making it the only mount with infinite flight obtainable before any Hardmode boss fights. However, the immense difficulty of the Master Mode, early-hardmode Pirate Invasion leads most players to obtain it later.
- However, since most enemies in Pirate Invasion have no attacks that pass through blocks (except the Pirate's Curse that spawns after defeating Pirate Captain), utilizing the Daedalus Stormbow, Meteor Staff or other weapons which can make effective attacks from inside an enclosed space, and making farming setups such as lava traps could enable efforts to farm The Black Spot in early Hardmode.
- The Pirate Ship Mount matches Cute Fishron's underwater speed bonus, but maintains its speed whether in air or water, making it the fastest mount in the game. However, its acceleration, turning, and stopping rates are relatively slow, making it less agile than other flying mounts. The acceleration also makes its ramming capabilities difficult to utilize.
- The mount is 5 blocks tall, unlike most other mounts which are 4. This can make it a bit of a pain to mine with horizontally compared to Toy Tank or most other mounts in general.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- By performing a dash using the Shield of Cthulhu, Tabi, Master Ninja Gear, or with a full set of Solar Flare armor, the player may achieve max speed on the mount instantly upon its summoning.
- Due to its high speed, this mount can easily take the place of an arena when fighting any of the Mechanical bosses, and makes those fights significantly easier. It is highly recommended to use against them as it can outrun Skeletron Prime (although the player should be wary of The Twins despawning).
- If a player is utilizing this mount for boss fights, it is advisable to remove mobility accessories, as these will not boost the movement of the mount.
- Take note that while this mount has high speed, the acceleration is somewhat lacking. This may make other mounts such as the Witch's Broom more desirable for dodging incoming attacks.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The item is a reference to the adventure novel Treasure Island by Scottish author Robert Louis Stevenson, where pieces of paper marked with a black spot play an important role.
- The buff tooltip may be a nod to the movie Captain Phillips where the pirate Abduwali Muse says "I'm the captain now", a phrase commonly used within meme communities on the internet.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Introduced.