The Grand Design
|Use time||9 Very Fast|
|Tooltip||Allows ultimate control over wires!|
Right Click while holding to edit wire settings
- Internal Item ID: 3611
Creating the Grand Design costs 15 in total. Its components can be bought from two rescued NPCs: the Goblin Tinkerer, and the Mechanic. Because the Mechanic comes from the Dungeon, the tool can be made post-Skeletron, once a Goblin Army has been defeated.
The Grand Design can be used at any part of the screen, regardless of block placement range. When right clicking with the tool, a small menu will pop up at the cursor's position with six different buttons in a radial pattern. The outside buttons can be used to select which wire colors (including actuators) can be interacted with, and the middle button will toggle between placing or harvesting the designated wires. In addition, as long as The Grand Design is anywhere in your inventory, seven buttons will appear on the left-hand side of the screen, controlling whether to display the ruler or not and whether to highlight actuators and/or the four different colors of wires.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipe[edit | edit source]
Crafting tree[edit | edit source]
| × 60|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- There are some differences between The Grand Design & its component wiring tools:
- Instead of affecting only one single block per use, the tool is used by holding the mouse button to draw a line (including one possible corner) where the tool places / harvest wire when releasing the button
- When dragging out a line to place or remove wires, you can control the direction the path takes by changing your character's facing. If your character faces to the right, the path selected by The Grand Design will travel vertically from the starting point, and then horizontally to the cursor. If your character faces to the left, the path selected by The Grand Design will travel horizontally from the starting point, and then vertically to the cursor.
- Like the multicolor wrench, it places / harvests wire of the selected colors, which means it is possible to place / harvest all 4 colors of wire at the same time.
- It has an extremely long reach of approximately 1000 blocks, and can be used while moving, making long range settings (like Teleporters) easier to make.
- Like the Multicolor Wrench, breaking a wire with The Grand Design causes the wire to automatically appear in your inventory, regardless of distance or obstructions.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- This item is an effective way of dealing with traps, such as explosives and boulders, and serves as a far more compact way of storing wiring tools.
- When dismantling naturally-generated traps, a Wire Cutter may be preferable, as the Grand Design cannot take advantage of the smart cursor and therefore has trouble with diagonally-placed wires.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The internal name for The Grand Design is "WireKite," possibly a humorous poke at its inventory icon resembling a real-world kite.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.2: Reduced sell price from 15 to 3 .
- Desktop 1.3.1: Introduced.