The Grand Design
|Type||Tool • Mechanism|
|Use time||10 Very Fast|
|Tooltip||Allows ultimate control over wires!|
Right click while holding to edit wire settings
- Wire Kite
Creating the Grand Design costs
150000*15 in total. Its components can be bought from two rescued NPCs: the Goblin Tinkerer and the Mechanic. Due to the requirements of these two NPCs spawning, the tool can only be obtained post-Skeletron and once a Goblin Army has been defeated.
The Grand Design can be used at any part of the screen, regardless of block placement range. When pressing ⚷ Open / Activate with the tool, a small menu will pop up at the cursor's position with six different buttons in a radial pattern. The outside buttons can be used to select which wire colors (including Actuators) can be interacted with, and the middle button will toggle between placing or harvesting the designated wires. In addition, as long as The Grand Design is anywhere in the inventory, seven buttons will appear on the left-hand side of the screen, controlling whether to display the ruler or not and whether to highlight actuators and/or the four different colors of wires.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipe[edit | edit source]
Crafting tree[edit | edit source]
| × 60|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- There are some differences between The Grand Design and its component wiring tools:
- Instead of affecting only one single block per use, the tool is used by holding the ⚒ Use / Attack button to draw a line (including one possible corner) where the tool places / harvests wire when releasing the button.
- When dragging out a line to place or remove wires, the player can control the direction the path takes by changing the character's direction. If the character faces to the right, the path selected by The Grand Design will travel vertically from the starting point, and then horizontally to the cursor. If the character faces to the left, the path selected by The Grand Design will travel horizontally from the starting point, and then vertically to the cursor.
- Like the Multicolor Wrench, it places / harvests wire of the selected colors, which means it is possible to place / harvest all 4 colors of wire at the same time.
- It can place about 1,000 tiles of wire and/or Actuators at a time and can be used while moving, making long range settings (like Teleporters) easier to construct. Note that the "drawing mode" will be canceled after one minute of holding down the ⚒ Use / Attack button, needing to be re-used to function again.
- Like the Multicolor Wrench, breaking a wire with The Grand Design causes the wire to automatically appear in the player's inventory, regardless of distance or obstructions.
- The Grand Design can be used without range limits, whereas the various wrenches must be within range of the player's building area to place wires.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- This item is an effective way of dealing with traps, such as Explosives and Boulders, and serves as a far more compact way of storing wiring tools.
- When dismantling naturally-generated traps, a Wire Cutter may be preferable, as the Grand Design cannot take advantage of the smart cursor. Therefore, it has trouble with diagonally-placed wires, like they often appear in the Dungeon.
- However, the Grand Design is capable of collecting wires remotely when dismantled this way.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The internal name for both The Grand Design and its projectiles is "WireKite", possibly a humorous poke at its inventory icon resembling a real-world kite.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.2: Reduced sell price from 15 to 3 .
- Desktop 1.3.1: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.1372.5: Introduced.