The Horseman's Blade
|Knockback||7.5 (Very strong)|
|Use time||26 (Average)|
|Tooltip||Summons Pumpkin heads to attack your enemies|
- Flaming Jack
The Horseman's Blade is a Hardmode, post-Plantera sword which summons homing pumpkin heads upon hitting an enemy. Despite it being called Horseman's Blade, it drops from Pumpking, a boss from the Pumpkin Moon event, not the Headless Horseman.
Its best modifier is Legendary.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The player is unable to turn while swinging the sword, similar to the Excalibur, Keybrand, or Falcon Blade.
- The pumpkins will do 1.5× the amount of damage of the sword's swing and can also critically hit.
- The sword can be seen in darkness, but casts no light on other objects.
- Pumpkins may spawn and follow Spike Balls, enemy projectiles, and even bound NPCs.
- The pumpkins will not spawn or home in on other players in PvP, but can damage other players if they are already spawned and happen to make contact.
- Wearing full Frost armor or a Fire Gauntlet, or using one of the many Flasks that generate light on weapon swings will cause pumpkin projectiles to glow as well.
- On the , hitting versioncritters will also cause the pumpkins to spawn.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Attacking large segmented enemies such as The Destroyer or Wyverns with the blade will cause many pumpkins to spawn and attack, as each segment can be attacked, therefore counting them as different targets.
- Using an automatic statue farm, it is possible to kill the statue-spawned enemies with the Horseman's Blade to make pumpkins spawn and attack other foes, which is especially useful while fighting bosses and enemies during the Pumpkin Moon and Frost Moon.
- Because the pumpkins home in on enemies, this weapon is useful in many situations, such as attacking large groups of enemies in the Hardmode Dungeon or during events.
- When comparing to the Terra Blade, the Horseman's Blade's very strong knockback and homing projectiles compensate for its slower, less-damaging swing.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- It is the third strongest sword in the game in the Old-gen console and versions, being beaten only by the True Night's Edge and the Terra Blade.
- The sword seems unusually larger than other swords when placed on a Weapon Rack.
- Modifier prefixes are added in front of the "The" in its name, which can result in a grammatically incorrect name such as "Keen The Horseman's Blade". It shares this trait with all other items that can obtain modifiers and whose names begin with "The". This error is not present in the Old-gen console version.
- In the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, the projectiles can still gather at Moon Lord's hands and head despite them being taken out.
- The pumpkin projectiles are called "Flaming Jack" in death messages. "Jack" may be just short for "Jack-o'-lantern".
- The Horseman's Blade (and the Headless Horseman enemy) is a reference to the Headless Horseman featured in the 1820 gothic story The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by American author Washington Irving. During the story's climax, the main character is chased by the Headless Horseman who ultimately throws his head at him. The head is afterwards revealed to actually having been a pumpkin. The story has since been referenced many times, as well as linked to Halloween due to jack-o'-lanterns. In Disney's 1949 film adaptation The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad, it appears as a Jack-o'-lantern on fire, which this item likewise might be a reference to.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: .
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Can now be reforged.
- Desktop 1.2.1: Introduced.