The Horseman's Blade
The Horseman's Blade
|Knockback||7.5 (Very Strong)|
|Use time||25 (Fast)|
|Tooltip||Summons Pumpkin heads to attack your enemies|
|Internal Item ID: 1826|
The Horseman's Blade is an auto-swinging Hardmode, post-Plantera sword that summons homing pumpkin heads upon killing an enemy. Despite it being called Horseman's Blade, it drops from Pumpking, a boss from the Pumpkin Moon event.
Its best Modifier is Legendary.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The player is unable to turn while swinging the sword, similar to the Excalibur.
- The pumpkins do the same amount of damage as the sword and can also critically hit.
- The sword can be seen in darkness, but casts no light on other objects.
- Pumpkins may spawn and follow Spike Balls, enemy projectiles, and even bound NPCs.
- The pumpkins won't spawn or home in on other players in PvP, but can damage other players if they are already spawned and happen to make contact.
- Wearing full Frost Armor or a Fire Gauntlet, or using one of the many flasks that generate light on weapon swings, will cause pumpkin projectiles to glow as well.
- If you hit a critter with the sword, pumpkins will not spawn. This is not the case on the Mobile version, where pumpkins will spawn regardless of what is hit.
- If you hit an enemy spawning from a statue, it will still summon pumpkins.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Attacking large segmented enemies such as the Destroyer or Wyvern with the blade will cause many pumpkins to spawn and attack.
- Using an automatic slime farm, you can kill the slimes with the Horseman's Blade to make pumpkins spawn and attack other foes, which is especially useful while fighting bosses and during the Pumpkin Moon and Frost Moon.
- Because the pumpkins home in on enemies, this weapon is useful in many situations, such as attacking large groups of enemies in the Dungeon.
- When comparing to the Terra Blade, the Horseman's Blade's very strong knockback and homing projectiles compensate for its slower, less-damaging swing.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- It was the third strongest sword in the game prior 126.96.36.199, being beaten only by the True Night's Edge and the Terra Blade by 13 base damage.
- The Horseman's Blade (and the Headless Horseman enemy) is a reference to the Headless Horseman featured in The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1820) by Washington Irving. In the story's climax the main character is chased by the Headless Horseman that ultimately throws his head at him, the head afterwards revealed (to the reader) to actually have been a pumpkin. The story has since been referenced many times, as well as linked to Halloween due to Jack-o'-lanterns. In Disney's film adaption (1949) it appears as a Jack-o'-lantern on fire, which this item likewise might be a reference to.
- Modifier prefixes are added in front of the "The" in its name, resulting in a grammatically incorrect name, such as "Legendary The Horseman's Blade". It shares this trait with all other items that can possess Modifiers and whose names begin with "The". This error is not present in the Console version.
- The pumpkin projectiles are called "Flaming Jack" in death messages.
- The Horseman's Blade can be considered a direct upgrade to the Bee Keeper.
History[edit | edit source]
- 188.8.131.52: Fixed not summoning pumpkins against Lunar Invasion enemies.
- 184.108.40.206: Can now be Reforged.
- 1.2.1: Introduced.
| Projectile Melee Weapons |
|Sword Projectiles||• • • • •|
|Other Projectiles||• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •|
|Projectile Only||• • •|