Wall of Flesh
|AI Type||Wall of Flesh AI|
|Damage||50 / 150 (melee)|
|Max Life||8000 / 11200|
|Defense||12 / 18|
|Debuff tooltip||You have seen something nasty, there is no escape.|
|Duration||While the player is within 1800 feet (900 blocks) from the boss.|
|Debuff tooltip||You are being sucked into the mouth|
|Duration||When the player is within 1800 feet (900 blocks) behind the boss.|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
"The master and core of the world..."
The Wall of Flesh is the final and strongest pre-Hardmode boss, spawnable only in The Underworld. Once it is defeated, the world permanently converts to Hardmode. This will grant players new challenges and gives them more content to explore.
To defeat the Wall of Flesh, the player must attack either its eyes or its mouth. They all share the same life counter, so attacking any of the three will deplete the total health of the boss. However, the eyes have less defense (take more damage) than the mouth. Its other parts are intangible to weapons, hence attacking those will not deplete its health.
Summoning[edit | edit source]
The Wall of Flesh is immediately summoned when a Guide Voodoo Doll is destroyed by being dropped into lava in The Underworld while the Guide is alive. Dropping the Doll into lava outside of Underworld or when the Guide is not alive will not spawn it and the Voodoo Doll will be destroyed with no effect.
The Wall of Flesh's sweep direction is determined by its spawn location. Spawning it anywhere left of the center of the world will cause it to sweep from left to right, while spawning it right of center will cause it to sweep right to left, regardless of the direction the doll was thrown into lava from. Maximum fight space can be achieved by spawning it at the extreme right or left of the world, though these areas have fewer natural structures and may require additional lava survival gear or construction.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
The Wall of Flesh is very large, occupying the entire screen vertically. Once spawned, it slowly sweeps across the map in a single direction, forcing the player to constantly move away for the duration of the fight, while also contending with the Underworld's usual hazards. It must be killed before it reaches the other end of the map, otherwise, it will despawn and all players in The Underworld will die (with the unique death message "<Player name> was licked.").
Once the Wall of Flesh has spawned, all players within 1800 feet will be inflicted with the Horrified debuff. The debuff lasts until either the player or the Wall of Flesh dies. If a player dies and then returns to the battle, they will again be inflicted with the debuff. While this debuff is active, players cannot flee the battle, i.e. attempting to escape the Underworld via a Magic/Ice Mirror, Recall Potion, Teleporter, or running far ahead of the Wall and leaving, will cause the player to die instantly with the unique death message "<Player name> tried to escape."
Attempting to leave the Underworld or to get behind the Wall of Flesh will inflict The Tongue debuff. When it is activated, a tendril will snatch the player and draw them into the Wall of Flesh's mouth, ignoring blocks in the way, and dealing high damage to the player (50 damage per second). The player will be unable to move or use items while the debuff is active.
The Wall of Flesh moves faster as its health depletes, increasing in speed after reaching 75% (6000 / 8400), 50% (4000 / 5600), 25% (2000 / 2800), and 10% (800 / 1120) of its health. In Expert mode , it accelerates even further with additional increases at 66% (7392), 33% (3696), 5% (560), 3.5% (392), and 2.5% (280) maximum health. Just before being defeated, it can reach up to 50 mph (as compared to the Hermes Boots at only 30 mph, Lightning Boots at 34, and the Bunny Mount at 38).
- The Wall of Flesh has small mouths called The Hungry, each attached by a long vein, which move towards and damage players. As the Wall of Flesh's main body takes damage, they deal more damage and become more resistant to attacks. When sufficiently damaged, they detach and fly towards players at high speed.
- In Expert mode, the Hungry respawn as long as the Wall of Flesh is alive.
- The Wall of Flesh's eyes fire lasers. As its health depletes, the lasers increase in damage and frequency, to the point where they barely stop.
- The Wall of Flesh "burps" Leeches from its mouth that chase players. These will always drop Hearts when killed.
- In Expert mode, Leeches only have a 20% chance to drop hearts when killed.
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
When the Wall of Flesh is killed, it leaves its drops in a floating, fully-enclosed frame of Demonite Brick for Corruption worlds, or Crimtane Brick for Crimson worlds. The one definite drop is the Pwnhammer, which facilitates progress early in Hardmode.
- In the Old-gen console version and , the frame is always made of Demonite Bricks. version
Hardmode[edit | edit source]
After defeating the Wall of Flesh for the first time, the status message "The ancient spirits of light and dark have been released." displays and the world converts to Hardmode. Hardmode brings new biomes, new and tougher enemies, and new tiers of equipment.
Two diagonal stripes of Hallow and Corruption or Crimson form in a "V" pattern from the center of the Underworld, all the way to the surface. Corruption/Crimson and Hallow will spread at a much faster rate, eventually covering large parts of the world if no action is taken.
Components[edit | edit source]
|AI Type||The Hungry AI|
|Damage||30 / 60 (WoF health >75%)|
45 / 90 (WoF health 75–50%)
60 / 120 (WoF health 50–25%)
75 / 150 (WoF health <25%)
|Max Life||240 / 336|
|Defense||10 / 16 (WoF health >75%)|
20 (WoF health 75–50%)
30 (WoF health 50–25%)
40 (WoF health <25%)
|KB Resist||-10% / 1%|
- Internal NPC ID: 115
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Being able to summon the Wall of Flesh depends entirely on the Guide being alive. He cannot respawn if it is night time or there is an event in progress. Due to this, the waiting time between multiple fights is often much greater than with other bosses. That said, timing the fight to finish just before dawn has a chance to allow two or even more fights, especially if the Guide already has an assigned house.
- The Wall of Flesh is not summoned if the Guide NPC is directly killed, whether by lava in The Underworld or in any other manner.
- The Wall of Flesh is one of the few bosses that does not despawn based on player distance. Once summoned, it only despawns once it reaches the far edge of the world, which also kills the player.
- This also means that it will not despawn upon player death, possibly allowing one to carry on with the fight if they reach the underworld fast enough before the Wall of Flesh reaches the end.
- It is possible for the Guide NPC to respawn while the Wall of Flesh is alive. Dropping another Guide Voodoo Doll into lava during the fight will kill the Guide again, but will not summon a second Wall of Flesh.
- The Wall of Flesh attempts to cover the entire open cavern space of The Underworld by moving its eyes up and down; it orients by existence/absence of solid blocks and liquids 4–5 tiles above and beneath the eyes. Furthermore, it is programmed not to move through Ash Blocks.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Players should try to avoid a premature summoning, by not letting a Voodoo Demon drop its doll into Underworld lava.
- If the Wall of Flesh was recently summoned or the Guide was recently killed in some other way, make sure the Guide has respawned before attempting to summon the Wall of Flesh again. The housing menu as well as the map can be used to see if the Guide is present in the world.
- Throwing the doll into a lava pool above The Underworld will only kill the Guide, without spawning the Wall of Flesh.
- Mobility-enhancing items, such as Gravitation Potion, Rocket Boots or one of their upgrades, and various hooks can make traversing The Underworld much easier. Similarly, items like Obsidian Skin Potions, Lava Waders, or an Obsidian Rose can mitigate The Underworld's many lava pools and other ambient hazards.
- Viable ranged weapons include The Bee's Knees and Hellwing Bow (both with Wooden Arrows), the Molten Fury (preferably with Heart Arrows), the Sharanga , the Phoenix Blaster, the Minishark, and the Star Cannon (with about 250 Fallen Stars).
- Note that Heart Arrows will freeze the Wall of Flesh in place, as long as the arrows hit its mouth.
- Beenades and Molotov Cocktails are highly effective throwing weapons against the Wall of Flesh, especially in Expert mode .
- Using a Water Bolt might finish the fight even after the player's death, as the projectile continues to bounce.
- Melee weapons are generally not recommended for fighting the Wall of Flesh for the first time, because the close range of this class results in a sizable amount of contact damage. However, certain melee weapons with extended range, like the Dark Lance or a yoyo , might prove useful.
- Since the Hungry are not immune to On Fire!, the Inferno Potion (obtainable through Shadow Chests pre-Hardmode) and the Flask of Fire are solid additions.
- An effective and common terrain preparation consists of building a long bridge (at least 500 tiles long in normal mode). Wood Platforms or Hay blocks are suitable materials due to their abundance. Ruined Houses and hills of ash on the bridge should be cleared to avoid getting stuck during the fight.
- Making the bridge out of Explosion-proof tiles (such as Dungeon Bricks) and proceeding to use Dynamite can be extremely effective if the player times their throws well.
- For rangers, a hilly platform can help avoiding the boss's lasers. Shoot at the Wall of Flesh from the top of one hill (or slightly behind it) and move to the next hill once it gets too close.
- Keep in mind that the Wall of Flesh reacts differently to Ash Blocks. Using these for the bridge will cause both eyes to constantly stay above it.
- A good way to defeat the Wall of Flesh is to build a long Minecart Track instead of a plain platform because the player can keep up with the boss. This is even more useful in Expert mode because of its high speed of 50 mph towards the end of the fight. Even when using the Wooden Minecart instead of the crafted one, the player can travel faster than the Wall of Flesh, at 51 mph.
- It is advised to focus on The Hungry first before significantly damaging the Wall itself due to their increases in damage and defense.
- Keep in mind that attacking the eyes causes the most damage, as they have the lowest defense.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Despite being based around flesh, the Wall of Flesh was in the game long before the Crimson, and this flesh theme was a coincidence.
- – According to the official game lore, the Wall of Flesh is the world's guardian. Once it is defeated, the world itself will search for a new guardian to take its place.
- The Wall of Flesh is the only boss (aside from the Celestial Pillars) that does not despawn when the player dies in singleplayer. In multiplayer, the Queen Bee does not despawn either.
- The Destroyer and the Moon Lord are the only other two bosses that do not despawn when the player gets too far away.
- The Hungry appear to be a smaller version of the Wall's mouth.
- The Hungry are the only Underworld enemy not immune to the On Fire! debuff.
- Although the eyes and mouth of the Wall of Flesh are immune to numerous debuffs, The Hungry are only immune to Confused.
- Because killing the Wall of Flesh creates strips of Hallow and Corruption/Crimson, if it is defeated near the middle of the map, it may drop a Soul of Light or Soul of Night on death, proving that the world is in fact converted to Hardmode before the status message displays.
- The Wall of Flesh was inspired by the Demon Wall from the Japanese science fantasy video game series Final Fantasy.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.
References[edit | edit source]
- Two in Expert mode , see Treasure Bag (Wall of Flesh)
- Information taken from the Desktop 220.127.116.11 source code, function
aiStyle == 27part.
- Terraria's 8th Anniversary - Ask Redigit and Cenx! May 20, 2019