Paintings are decorative furniture items that can be placed on background walls. Each is a framed image that depicts a particular scene, usually Terraria-related. Their tooltips generally contain a person's name, apparently intended to credit each painting's artist; some names may be fictional, though some correspond to known Terraria sprite designers (see Trivia below).
There are currently 80 paintings, 14 of which are sold by the Painter under certain conditions, 9 are randomly sold by the Traveling Merchant, 15 are found placed naturally in Underground Cabins, 24 in the Dungeon, 12 in The Underworld, 5 randomly acquired from Goodie Bags, and 1 awarded randomly by the Angler for completing a fishing quest.
Paintings List[edit | edit source]
From Painter[edit | edit source]
|3x2||1||20||When Painter is in a Snow biome||V. Costa Moura||Snow Biome landscape.|
|3x2||1||20||Always||V. Costa Moura||Forest landscape.|
|3x2||1||20||When Painter is in a Crimson biome||V. Costa Moura||Crimson landscape.|
|3x2||1||20||When Painter is in a Jungle biome||V. Costa Moura||Jungle landscape.|
|3x2||1||20||During Blood Moon||V. Costa Moura||An eyeball resembling the Eye of Cthulhu with a green pupil.|
|3x2||1||20||Moon Phase 1-2||V. Costa Moura||Green Slime.|
|3x2||1||20||Moon Phase 3-4||V. Costa Moura||Sunflower.|
|3x2||1||20||When Painter is in a Hallow biome||V. Costa Moura||Hallow landscape.|
|3x2||1||20||When Painter is in a Corruption biome||V. Costa Moura||Corruption landscape.|
|3x2||1||20||When Painter is in Space||V. Costa Moura||Floating Island landscape.|
|3x2||1||20||When Painter is in a Desert biome||V. Costa Moura||Desert landscape with Pyramid.|
|3x2||1||20||Hardmode, when Painter is in Space||V. Costa Moura||Wyvern.|
|3x2||1||20||Moon Phase 7-8||V. Costa Moura||Forest trees.|
|3x2||1||20||Moon Phase 5-6||V. Costa Moura||Crystal Heart.|
From Traveling Merchant[edit | edit source]
|6x4||50||10||J. Hayes||A Red Bulb hanging from a tree. A reference to "A Charlie Brown Christmas"|
|6x4||2||40||J. Hayes|| Parody of the Wolfenstein 3D title screen featuring |
the player wearing Meteor armor and wielding a Space Gun,
with a Martian in the back.
|6x4||50||10||J. Hayes||Portrait of the Ice Queen attacking.|
|6x4||50||10||J. Hayes||Portrait of Skeletron dressed as Santa Claus.|
|6x4||2||40||J. Hayes||Parody of Mona Lisa featuring a Martian.|
|6x4||3||60||V. Costa Moura||Moon Lord. The name is a reference to the Splatoon commercial.|
|6x4||50||10||J. Hayes||Snowy landscape with a Present, Christmas Tree and a Candy Cane.|
|6x4||50||10||J. Hayes||Parody of the Goodfellas poster featuring Snowmen.|
|6x4||2||40||J. Hayes|| Martian Saucer abducting a Bunny. |
The name is a parody of the X-Files tagline, "The Truth is Out There". It is also a slightly different and pixelated version of the achievement, 'Tin-Foil Hatter'.
|2x3||10||A. G. Kolf||Portrait of the Demolitionist.|
|3x3||10||W. Garner|| Parody of Saturn Devouring His Son.
Crowno is one of Terraria's spriters.
|3x3||10||J. T. Myhre||A player wearing Gold Armor spots a Floating Island.|
|3x3||10||V. Costa Moura||Based on The Son of Man.|
|3x2||10||J. T. Myhre||A Pickaxe and a nugget of Gold.|
|2x3||10||M. J. Duncan||Moon and stars.|
|3x3||10||V. Costa Moura||Guide painted in Picasso style.|
|2x3||10||J. T. Myhre|
|3x3||10||W. Garner|| Parody of Leonardo da Vinci self-portrait |
featuring the Merchant.
|3x3||10||W. Garner||Parody of Mona Lisa featuring the Nurse.|
|3x3||10||J. T. Myhre||Person leaning on a Pickaxe.|
|3x3||10||W. Garner||Based on Sunflowers by Vincent van Gogh.|
|3x3||10||W. Garner|| Parody of American Gothic |
featuring the Goblin Tinkerer and the Mechanic.
|2x3||10||n/a||Waldo from Where's Waldo?.|
|3x3||10||W. Garner||Blood Moon. Also possibly a parody of Blue Moon Rising by Simon R. Green.|
|6x4||10||W. Garner||Parody of The Creation of Adam featuring the Guide.|
|3x3||10||W. Garner||Old Man.|
|6x4||10||R. Moosdijk||Player battling The Destroyer.|
|6x4||10||W. Garner||Parody of Grande Odalisque featuring the Dryad.|
|6x4||10||W. Garner||Player battling the Eye of Cthulhu.|
|6x4||10||A. G. Kolf||Player facing the Brain of Cthulhu.|
|3x3||10||W. Garner||Two Ruined Houses surrounded by lava.|
|6x4||10||W. Garner||Parody of Dogs Playing Poker featuring Goblins.|
|6x4||10||V. Costa Moura||Reference to The Great Wave off Kanagawa.|
|3x3||10||A. G. Kolf||The Dungeon Guardian.|
|3x3||10||W. Garner||A figure hanging on a tree.|
|6x4||10||K. Wright||The Hallow and the Crimson colliding.|
|6x4||10||V. Costa Moura||Parody of The Persistence of Memory featuring eyes.|
|6x4||10||C. J. Ness|| Bird on a stationary bicycle powering a Tesla Coil. |
Nod to Bird Engines.
|6x4||10||V. Costa Moura||Parody of The Scream featuring a Face Monster.|
|3x3||10||W. Garner||A skull. A reference to Jack Skellington from the movie The Nightmare before Christmas.|
|6x4||10|| V. Costa Moura
'In loving memory'
|Sparky Doo, Redigit and Cenx's deceased pet dog|
|6x4||10||R. Moosdijk||Eye of Cthulhu watching a player wearing full silver armor|
|6x4||10||V. Costa Moura||Based on Starry Night.|
|6x4||10||C. Burczyk||Based on the Guide, Merchant, and Nurse designs and color.|
|6x4||10||R.Moosdijk||Player battling The Twins.|
|6x4||10||V. Costa Moura|| Parody of Napoleon Crossing the Alps |
featuring the Party Girl on a Unicorn in the Hallow.
|2x3||10||J. T. Myhre||Reaper portrait.|
|2x3||10||n/a||The back of a Yu-Gi-Oh! card.|
|3x2||10||J. T. Myhre||A demon's eye.|
|3x2||10||A. Craig||Underworld landscape.|
|3x3||10||J. T. Myhre||A hand reaching out from the ground.|
|3x3||10||J. T. Myhre||A Fire Imp's face.|
|6x4||10||W. Garner||Lava pool under Forest land.|
|3x2||10||A. Craig||A piece of the Wall of Flesh.|
|3x3||10||A. Craig||A Reaper flying over an Underworld landscape.|
|3x3||10||A. Craig||Crescent moon and stars.|
|3x3||10||J. T. Myhre||Bone Serpent head.|
|2x3||10||J. T. Myhre||An unhappy ghost trapped in limbo.|
|6x4||10||J. Hayes||Green Slime wearing a witch hat among Pumpkins.|
|6x4||10||J. Hayes||A vampire lady with red eyes and a cloak.|
|6x4||10||J. Hayes||Portrait of the Mechanic's face.|
|6x4||10||V. Costa Moura|| Skeletron hovering over the Spiral Hill |
from The Nightmare Before Christmas.
|6x4||10||J. Hayes|| A winged skeleton examines an eyeball. |
Possibly a tribute to the famous scene in Hamlet, where Hamlet holds Yorick's skull.
Angler quest rewards[edit | edit source]
|6x4||50||W. Garner||Pirate ship from Pixel Piracy.|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The is visually similar to Paintings and operates similarly, but is not considered a painting in the game's code. This is most likely because it has a different look, both picture and the frame, each time it is placed.
- When a painting is generated in a dungeon, the game can place 2 sizes of paintings: a 3x3 painting (2/3 chance), and a a 6x4 painting (1/3 chance).
- A random number between 1 and 7 (inclusive) is chosen for the 3x3 paintings. For 6x4 paintings, a random number between 1 and 17 (inclusive) is chosen. Note that The Guardian's Gaze is rarer than the other paintings because it must be chosen in two 1 in 7 rolls to appear. The chances for every painting are listed below.
- Other decorative wall hangings include Hanging Skeleton and Wall Skeleton (both looted from the Dungeon), Trophies (dropped by Bosses), Holly (looted from Christmas Presents), Racks (crafted at the Sawmill), Animal Skins (sold by the Traveling Merchant), Compass Rose, Life Preserver, Ship's Wheel, Treasure Map and Wall Anchor (Angler quest rewards).
- Although Banners have the appearance of being wall hangings, they are not hung on the wall, but rather from blocks.
- Although the paintings "First Encounter", "Good Morning", "Through the Window" and "Underground Reward" appear to be square, their ingame size is 3 blocks wide by 2 blocks high.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Some tooltip authors correspond to members of Terraria's development staff:
- The frames on the paintings normally correspond to a wood or block.
- The painting "Ominous Presence" seems to have little correlation between its placed sprite and inventory sprite.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.5: Fixed several rare paintings not naturally spawning properly.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Added 9 new paintings sold by the Traveling Merchant.
- Desktop 1.2.4: Pillagin Me Pixels added.
- Desktop 1.2.1: Added new Halloween themed paintings.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.