- Item (Quantity)Rate
- (20-40 / 25-40)100%
- (15-30 / 20-35)100%
The Twins are a Hardmode Mechanical Boss which is essentially a harder version of the Eye of Cthulhu. The Twins are two separate flying entities connected by a tendril, each with its own attack pattern and life count. Both must be killed in order to defeat the boss.
The Twins are summoned using the Mechanical Eye at night, and must be defeated before dawn, otherwise they despawn. If an Altar has been destroyed, they also have a 10% chance of spawning each night until the boss is defeated. In that case, their approach is signaled at dusk via the chat message, "This is going to be a terrible night..."
While The Twins are alive, music Boss 2 will play.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
- Retinazer: has a red iris and fires purple lasers. It will usually attempt to remain diagonally above the player.
- Spazmatism: has a lime iris and fires balls of Cursed Flame. It will usually attempt to remain horizontally in line with the player.
Both alternate between their signature attacks and a charging melee attack, much like the Eye of Cthulhu. Retinazer's charge attack is faster and covers a bit more distance than Spazmatism's charge attack.
Each eye has a second form. Retinazer transforms at 8000 HP while Spazmatism transforms at 9000 HP.
- Retinazer becomes a mechanical eye with a laser turret in its pupil. It fires more rapidly and with higher damage, and periodically fires in quick barrages, but doing significantly less damage. The barrages become more intense and frequent the more damage Retinazer takes, eventually occurring nonstop. In its second form, Retinazer will only shoot at the player and no longer attempt to ram into them.
- Spazmatism becomes a mechanical mouth. It chases the player, charging with greater speed and range, and periodically spews streams of Cursed Flames from its mouth in a manner similar to the Flamethrower. The flames can inflict the Cursed Inferno debuff and deal high damage.
- In Expert mode, Retinazer's laser firing becomes faster and charges become farther as its health depletes. Spazmatism's fireballs inflict Cursed Inferno for sixteen seconds instead of eight. Spazmatism will also charge faster in its second form.
Eyes[edit | edit source]
|AI Type||Spazmatism AI|
|Damage||50 / 85 (melee)|
50 / 88 (cursed flame)
|Max Life||23000 / 34500|
|Debuff duration||16% for 8 seconds,|
then 25% for 5 seconds,
then 50% for 3 seconds
16, 10, 6 seconds
|Debuff tooltip||Losing life|
- Internal NPC ID: 126
Achievements[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Similar to the Eye of Cthulhu, The Twins will not spawn if you log out or move underground after the message "This is going to be a terrible night..." is displayed.
- On Console and Mobile versions, if The Twins are summoned with a Mechanical Eye in a night where The Twins naturally spawn, both pairs will appear and all four eyes will be connected. This does not happen on the Desktop version.
- Both eyes can drop their respective trophy when killed, regardless of which is killed first or last. It is possible to get both trophies in one battle.
- The Twins are defeated when the last eye alive is killed. In multiplayer it is possible that only one of the two eyes despawn while all players are dead. The battle can still be completed for the boss's loot, provided that someone respawns near the remaining eye before it disappears.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Both of the Twins are vulnerable to the Frostburn, Ichor, and Cursed Inferno debuffs. As such, a viable combination is Frost Armor, a Megashark (if The Destroyer has been defeated), and either Ichor Bullets or Cursed Bullets. The Twins will be inflicted two debuffs simultaneously.
- In both of The Twins' second form, using items like a Cross Necklace or having Titanium armor greatly helps take less damage by becoming invincible during most of their strong "rapid attacks"
- Try to defeat one of the two Twins at a time. Having both in their second forms at near equal health will prove dangerous to any player, especially in Expert mode .
- Try to beat Spazmatism first since its cursed flames are difficult to avoid in its second form and fighting both of them at the same time makes the fight significantly more difficult. Retinazer is less deadly, cannot inflict a debuff and will not charge in its second form. It is also easier to outrun Retinazer and therefore get away from it quicker whilst shooting a Megashark or a Hardmode repeater from Hardmode Ores.
- Because Souls of Sight are used mainly for making magic based items, this boss is less rewarding to players going for ranged or melee builds.
- Shadowflame Knives and Cursed Flame-based weapons are excellent options against The Twins, as neither of them are immune to the Shadowflame and Cursed Inferno debuffs.
- The Sharanga is an excellent weapon against The Twins if it is fired as the player runs away.
- Try to attack Retinazer first to avoid Spazmatism's very punishing close range cursed flame attack in its second form.
- If The Twins are ever out-run, such as with the case of a long railroad, they will despawn regardless of the time of night. This allows you to only have to fight one of the two Twins (e.g. for farming for the trophy), and will often be Spazmatism due to its fast charges.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Retinazer's name is a portmanteau of retina, a part of the eye, and laser. Spazmatism's name is a portmanteau of astigmatism, an eye disorder, and spasm, meaning to twitch uncontrollably.
- In its second form, Spazmatism's eye fire functions almost identically to the Flamethrower weapon, with similar range and damage but inflicting the Cursed Inferno debuff instead of On Fire!.
- The Twins are the only Mechanical Boss with phases, and the only Mechanical Boss that seems to be partially made of flesh, possibly being biomechanical hybrid. Unlike the other two, they are vulnerable to more debuffs.
- Despite inflicting it, Spazmatism is not immune to Cursed Inferno.
- They are the only boss with two trophies.
- Although The Twins spawn off the screen, the tendril between them can spawn in the screen.
- The Twins are one of three bosses with a minion designed after it (the Optic Staff), the others being the Martian Saucer (the Xeno Staff) and Duke Fishron (the Tempest Staff).
- The Old-gen console version achievement appears to depict the second form of the Eye of Cthulhu rather than The Twins.
See also[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- For changes that affect all the mechanical bosses, see Mechanical Bosses#History.
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprites updated.
- Desktop 1.2.3:
- Spazmatism increased health to 23000, decreased damage for both.
- Spazmatism now transforms at 9000HP and Retinazer now transforms at 8000HP, instead of at half HP.
- Now only drops 15-30 Hallowed Bars.
- One of the twins can no longer despawn as long as the other is still active.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Now have a chance to spawn during hardmode with the message: "This is going to be a terrible night...".
- Will now drop 20-40 Souls of Sight, instead of 20-30.
- Health and damage reduced from 24000 and 50 to 20000 and 40 respectively.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.1.5536: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.