The item(s) described on this page exist as functional game items, but are only naturally generated and cannot be collected.
Thin Ice is a type of block that is found in the Snow and Underground Snow biomes. It is found naturally in two configurations: either a single layer over a pool of water, or in large packed regions underground.
Similar to Ice Blocks, Thin Ice has reduced friction, and players will slide across it. Thin Ice will break if a player falls on it at a certain speed, usually achieved by falling normally onto it. Landing on Thin Ice will not cause fall damage itself, but it will not slow the player's fall on contact, and fall damage will continue to accumulate until the player lands on another block type. Ice Skates or any of the combined Accessories that use them as an ingredient can be used to land on Thin Ice without breaking it and dropping through.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- When Thin Ice is broken underwater, any pool of water it is in will retain its water level.
- Thin Ice blocks only break from the top. It is not possible to run through thin ice horizontally, or crash upwards through the bottom. Using a grappling hook to attach to a Thin Ice block from above will break through the block, but grappling from any other side is safe.
- Effects that slow fall speed, such as Featherfall Potions, slowing one's fall with Rocket Boots, or falling through Water or Cobwebs, can prevent the player from crashing through thin ice.
- Breaking thin ice will not slow your falling speed, and falling through thin ice will not reset falling damage like cobwebs do. However, landing on thin ice will not cause fall damage on its own unless Ice Skates, Arctic Diving Gear, or Frostspark Boots are worn.
- When not underwater, grappling to the bottom of a thin ice block can still drown the player.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- Now appears in large clusters separate from bodies of water.
- Sprite updated.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Chests, crystal hearts, and statues should no longer spawn on ice (Thin Ice).
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.