|Buff tooltip||Attackers also take damage|
The Thorns Potion is a buff potion which grants the Thorns buff when consumed. The buff knocks back enemies that strike the player, dealing a third of their damage to them. This lasts for 8 minutes, but can be canceled at any time by right-clicking the icon (), by selecting the icon and canceling it in the equipment menu ( ), by double-tapping the buff icon (), or by canceling the buff from the buffs screen ().
- This potion cannot be created in worlds with Crimson, as Worm Teeth are only dropped by Devourers in the Corruption. This is likely an unintended issue which arose with the 1.2.3 change. The Fishing feature introduced in 1.2.4 seems however to have balanced this by giving Crimson worlds the Heartreach Potion and Rage Potion while only giving Corruption worlds the Wrath Potion. However, both the Heartreach and Thorns Potions can be found in Chests, regardless of world type.
- This doesn't apply in Desktop 188.8.131.52 and onwards, as when the Dryad is in the Graveyard biome in Hardmode, she sells the seeds of the world evil opposite of the current world evil (i.e. Corrupt Seeds in a Crimson world and Crimson Seeds in a Corrupt world). This means the player can create an artificial Corrupt biome in a Crimson world and therefore allow Devourers to spawn and drop Worm Teeth.
- The buff stacks with the Dryad's Blessing buff, but not with the thorns effect from the Turtle armor set bonus, which overrides it.
- The reflected damage is capped at 1000.
- Like the Wrath Potion to the Rage Potion, the Thorns Potion may be seen as a counterpart to the Heartreach Potion, as both give defensive buffs with imagery which references their respective biomes.