Tim is a rare enemy found in the lower Cavern layer. With an appearance similar to Dark Casters, he can be distinguished by his Wizard Hat, which is guaranteed to drop when he is defeated. Like other casters, Tim will fire three Chaos Balls that pass through solid blocks before teleporting to another visible location on screen.
On the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, wearing one of the gemmed Robe variants without a Wizard Hat will change his spawn rate from 1/200 to 1/50.
He is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer .
- Tim can only spawn below a certain depth level. This level is below -795 on small worlds, -1323 on medium worlds, or -1718 on large worlds. In general, areas with lava are a good indicator of where Tim will spawn.
- Tim's spawn rate increase is described in changelogs as occurring if the player "need[s] his hat". This increase is actually triggered by wearing one of the gem-crafted variations of Robes – any of which can serve as half of a two-piece Wizard armor set with the Wizard Hat that Tim drops, granting the player a 10% increase in magic critical strike chance.
- Tim's name is a reference to Tim the Enchanter from the British comedy film Monty Python and the Holy Grail, as confirmed by Blue on the Terraria IRC. The name of the achievement gotten by killing him is also a reference to his introduction in the movie.
- Tim seems to spawn more commonly the closer the player is to The Underworld, though he will not spawn in The Underworld itself.
- Desktop 1.0.5: A longer delay was added between the 3-shot volley and the next teleport.