- Internal NPC ID: 107
Are goblins really so different from us that we couldn't live together peacefully?
— The Guide
The Goblin Tinkerer is an NPC that sells several unique items, as well as providing the Reforge function. He can be acquired after a Goblin Army has been defeated, spawning randomly in open areas in the Cavern layer. He will appear to be bound at first, and like the Mechanic, Wizard, Golfer, Tavernkeep, Angler, and Stylist, talking to him in this state will free him. He will then respawn as long as a vacant House is available.
The Goblin Tinkerer's reforge option allows the player to randomize the Modifier for a weapon or accessory, which can make the item better or worse than it was originally. Reforges cost one-third of the item's current value, which can also be affected by its current modifier. The reforge cost is also affected by the Goblin Tinkerer's Happiness .
The modifiers of items used in crafting have no effect on the crafted item's modifier. Any modifier given to the newly crafted item will be completely random.
If threatened by enemies, the Goblin Tinkerer will defend himself by throwing Spiky Balls, which behave like those thrown by the player. They do not destroy grass, however.
The Bound Goblin is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer.
Items sold[edit | edit source]
|Rocket Boots||Always available.|
|Tinkerer's Workshop||Always available.|
|Grappling Hook||Always available.|
|Spiky Ball||Always available.|
|Any Pylon||When in a specific biome (except Evil Biomes) and is happy enough.|
Living Preferences [edit | edit source]
Names[edit | edit source]
The Goblin Tinkerer may have any of the following names:
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Before the Goblin Tinkerer has been rescued, the Bound Goblin periodically spawns near the player as they travel the Cavern layer, despawning if they get too far away. Therefore, spending hours clearing the map and searching every tunnel is unnecessary.
- Consuming a Hunter Potion will cause the Bound Goblin to light up, making him easier to find.
- While the Bound Goblin can be found in any open area underground, bound NPCs may be easier for players to find in the Dungeon, as it is an expansive and easily navigated underground space. NPCs can also be found in the Jungle Temple.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
When Mechanic is present:
- "Hey...what's <name of Mechanic> up to? Have you...have you talked to her, by chance?" (references the Goblin Tinkerer's flushed feelings for the Mechanic)
When Stylist is present:
- "I tried to visit <name of Stylist> one time. She just looked at me and said 'nope.'" (references the Tinkerer being bald)
- "Thank you for freeing me, human. I was tied up and left here by the other goblins. You could say that we didn't get along very well." (references The Goblin Tinkerer being passive)
- "I can't believe they tied me up and left me here just for pointing out that they weren't going east!" (referring to the Goblin Tinkerer initially appearing bound; and east/west and sunrise/sunset being inconsistent in Terraria, or the east/west reversal from their typical directions in real-world maps)
- "Now that I'm an outcast, can I throw away the spiked balls? My pockets hurt." (references Goblin Armies dropping Spiky Balls)
- "Looking for a gadgets expert? I'm your goblin!"
- "Thanks for your help. Now, I have to finish pacing around aimlessly here. I'm sure we'll meet again." (references the NPC behavior of walking back and forth for no reason)
- "I thought you'd be taller." (TV Trope: Expecting someone taller)
During the day:
- "Goblins are surprisingly easy to anger. In fact, they could start a war over cloth!" (references use of Tattered Cloth to summon a Goblin Army)
- "To be honest, most goblins aren't exactly rocket scientists. Well, some are." (references the Rocket Boots he sells)
- "Do you know why we all carry around these spiked balls? Because I don't." (references Goblin Armies dropping Spiky Balls)
- "I just finished my newest creation! This version doesn't explode violently if you breathe on it too hard."
- "Goblin thieves aren't very good at their job. They can't even steal from an unlocked chest!" (references the fact that the Goblin Thieves in Goblin Invasions do not actually steal anything)
- "Hey, does your hat need a motor? I think I have a motor that would fit exactly in that hat."
- "Yo, I heard you like rockets and running boots, so I put some rockets in your running boots." (see Trivia below)
- "Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver." (references the quote some parents use to keep children quiet, "Silence is golden")
- "YES, gold is stronger than iron. What are they teaching these humans nowadays?" (references the fact that Gold in Terraria is stronger than Iron, whereas in real life, gold is soft and malleable, not nearly as strong as iron.)
- "You know, that mining helmet-flipper combination was a much better idea on paper." (references the use of a Diving Helmet and Flipper in crafting a set of Diving Gear)
During Rain :"
- "All this rainfall makes it hard to see. I should tinker my goggles with a pair of windshield wipers."
- "Humans are a lot taller than goblins. When it floods, we are always in big trouble!"
During a Thunderstorm :"
- "Most goblins hate thunderstorms. Probably because they carry so many spiky balls."
- "I'm working on an invention that will harness the energy being released around us!"
During a Party :
- "Goblin parties are a lot like humans. They both have games like "Pin the Blame on the Human" er... I don't play that game at my parties." (Reference to "pin the tail on the donkey", a party game.)
When Tier 1 of the Old One's Army has been defeated:
- "You know, these Etherian Goblins are nothing like my people. Really rowdy bunch. Not that my people are much better..."
During a Windy Day:
- "This weather is the reason why I wear goggles! I can’t have dirt and sand blowing in my eyes."
- "Now would be a great time to tinker a pinwheel accessory!"
When in a Graveyard:
- "I'm working on a Photon Sack. It's an invention to trap all the ghosts lurking around outside!" (references the proton pack from the Ghostbusters franchise)
- The constant moaning and ear-piercing screeching noises are distracting me from my work!
Happiness Quotes[edit | edit source]
When nothing is affecting happiness:
- "Feelings are currently nominal."
- “Goblins don’t normally need nice homes, but I’m not like most goblins.”
When far from home:
- “I want to work on my new invention, but my house is way over there!”
When in a sparse area:
- "Perfect, the lack of annoying neighbours adequately meet my needs."
- “This crowding triggers bad memories of goblin war camp, I really hate it.”
When in the Underground:
- "Ahh, the Underground is a nice, quiet place to construct more gadgets. Major like-age!"
When in the Jungle:
- “I don’t like the Jungle, it is filled with loud, annoying pests that get in the way of my work!”
When in the Corruption:
- "I hate the Corruption, I cannot put merge these trinkets into one piece if I’m fighting to keep myself that way!" [sic]
When near the Mechanic:
- "[Name of Mechanic] the Mechanic makes my cardiac core function improperly, it appears I love how it feels!"
When near the Dye Trader:
- “[Name of Dye Trader] the Dye Trader understands how fun it is to mix things together, I can respect that!”
When near the Clothier:
- “I detect eerie vibes from [Name of Clothier] the Clothier, as if they contain dark secrets. I don’t like the feeling.”
When near the Stylist:
- “I really hate how [Name of Stylist] the Stylist humiliated me, all because male goblins cannot grow real hair!”
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- He is the only goblin who does not have pointy ears.
- As evidenced by some of his quotes, the Goblin Tinkerer has a crush on the Mechanic, and, referenced by some of her quotes, she has a crush on him too.
- This is also proven by his happiness quote, "<Name of Mechanic> Makes my cardiac core function improperly, it appears I love how it feels!"
- The quote, "Yo, I heard you like rockets and running boots, so I put some rockets in your running boots." is a reference to the Xzibit "Yo Dawg" meme. It is also a reference to how the Tinkerer's Workshop can combine Rocket Boots with running boots (Hermes Boots, Flurry Boots, Dunerider Boots, or Sailfish Boots).
- One of his names, "Dalek", is a reference to the British show Doctor Who. The Daleks are an antagonistic race famed for their advances in technology and desire to exterminate all "inferior" beings.
- One of his names, "Gnudar", is possibly a reference to Futurama, as there is an alien known by the same name featured as an antagonist in one of the movies.
- Unlike other NPCs, the goblin tinkerer doesn’t drop spiky balls if he dies.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.5: Fixed Goblin Tinkerer being slightly smaller than intended.
- Desktop 1.3.4: Added quote about Etherian Goblins.
- Desktop 1.1.1: Now can be untied with Autopause enabled.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.