|AI Type||Fighter AI|
- Internal NPC ID: 534
The Tortured Soul is an uncommon enemy found in The Underworld only during Hardmode. If the player throws Purification Powder on him, he will become the Tax Collector NPC. Only one Tortured Soul may appear at a time, and they will not appear if the Tax Collector has already been saved. If the Tax Collector is killed, he will respawn naturally without the need to purify another Tortured Soul.
It is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Due to being an enemy, summoned Minions and the Leaf Crystal from the Chlorophyte armor set bonus will attack the Tortured Soul and will often kill him before the player has time to purify him. Therefore, it's a wise idea to de-summon any minions and switch armor sets if the player is trying to find him.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The easiest way to find the Tortured Soul is to use a long bridge in The Underworld. This way the player has an easy path to find him, and gives him a better area to spawn. It is best to use the bridge used for the fight with the Wall of Flesh if the player used one.
- If the player can hear doors being opened or closed, the Tortured Soul is most likely nearby, as it is the only enemy in The Underworld that has the ability to open and close doors.
- If the player does not have a free NPC home available, the Tax Collector will simply stay in the Underworld (or be killed by enemies) until it has a house to move into.
- The player should bring Purification Powder to their Wall of Flesh fight and farm for the Tortured Soul right after defeating him. The Underworld will generally be quite safe at the beginning of Hardmode, and the Tax Collector provides a good source of money.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- If multiple tortured souls spawn and are purified, either through cheat sheet, hacks or mod they will all become tax collectors and have the same name.
- The Tortured Soul may serve as a reference to the character of Jacob Marley from the book A Christmas Carol. Both appear to be "tortured souls", hence the name, and both sport what appear to be metal chains from their wrists. Notably, in life, Marley worked alongside Ebenezer Scrooge as a very hard-nosed money lender - similar in tone to the NPC that the Tortured Soul becomes when exposed to Purification Powder.
- The Bestiary entry for the Tortured Soul: "Sentenced to an eternity of punishment for his lifelong greedy ambitions, this man has long been corrupted into a demonic state."
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 184.108.40.206: Introduced.