- Internal NPC ID: 638
The Dog is a town pet. It arrives at dawn (4:30 AM) the day after the player uses the Dog License, which is purchased from the Zoologist for 5. The Dog does not count towards the NPCs' "crowded" limit and hence will not affect NPC happiness, although it does count as a regular town NPC for the purpose of the Pylon network. There are six breeds of Dog, with one randomly being chosen when it arrives.
The only requirements for the Dog to appear is the use of a Dog License and the presence of a valid house. The Dog's house can be changed, as with any other NPC, however the Dog can share the same house as another NPC.
The Dog can be talked to with the ⚷ Open / Activate button, like any other town NPC. It will offer a "Pet" option, which places the player directly in front of the Dog when selected, and displays an animation of them petting the Dog, an effect that is a purely visual. It only works if there are at least two flat tiles on the same level as the Dog in front of it. Using any item, taking damage, or closing the dialogue window terminates the animation.
Names[edit | edit source]
The Town Dog may have any of the following names:
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Woof woof!"
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Achievements[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
Many of the Dog's possible names are references:
- The names "Lucky" and "Pongo" are references to the characters from Disney's "101 Dalmatians".
- The husky name Miska is possibly a reference to the youtube videos centering around a talkative husky named Mishka, that were popular for a while.
- The name "Marshall" is a reference to the character from "Paw Patrol".
- The name "Balto" is a reference to the real-life sled dog Balto, who played a large part in saving countless children in Nome, Alaska from diphtheria in 1925.
- The name "Indiana" is a reference to the "Indiana Jones" franchise as "Indiana" was the name of Indiana Jones's childhood dog, an Alaskan Malamute (similar to the husky breed).
- The name "Hachiko" is a reference to the real-life Akita Hachikō, remembered for his remarkable loyalty to his master. Both Huskies and Akitas belong to the Spitz type.
- The name "Sparky" is in remembrance of Redigit's deceased pet dog, Sparky.
- The name was originally going to be for the husky instead of the labrador when town pets were revealed.
- The name "Sven" is a reference to popular YouTuber "PewDiePie", as he named his dog in Minecraft "Sven".
- The names "Navi" and "Zelda" are references to characters from "The Legend Of Zelda" and also the names of Redigit & Cenx's current dogs.
- The name "Shino" is a reference to Terraria YouTuber and beta tester "Khaios", as his Shiba's name is Shino.
- The name "Elizabeth" may be a reference to Britain's Queen Elizabeth II, who has owned many corgis in the past. The name "Charles" may be a reference to Prince Charles.
- The name "Odie" is a reference to the dog of the same name in the famous comic strip and TV series "Garfield"
- The name "Ammy" is potentially a reference to Amaterasu from "Ōkami", though the original Ammy is a wolf, rather than a corgi.
- The name "Darwin" is a possible reference to the famous Charles Darwin. The ship he rode on his trip around the world was called the "HMS Beagle". The breed of in-game dog this name is under is also a beagle.
- The name "Pebbles" was added in remembrance to reddit user GoldKat1234's Labrador.
- The name "Spike" is a reference to "Tom and Jerry", which features a bulldog named Spike.
- The name "Dogi" may be a reference to the best friend of the protagonist of the Ys series. That protagonist, "Adol", also appears as a possible name for the Cat.
- The corgi name "Estelle" may be a reference to the protagonist of the Trails in the Sky series. This is further evidenced by the names Joshua and Renne as being valid names for the Bunny and the Cat, respectively.
- The corgi name "Charles" may be a reference to the 1976 newspaper comic strip "footrot flats".
- The beagle name "Milo" may be a reference to Stanley Ipkiss' hound (Jack Russell Terrier) from "The Mask" movie and animated series".
- The Labrador name "Calvin" might be a reference to Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes because there is a Hobbes cat.
- The Husky name "Snowdog" may be a reference to the Rush song "By-Tor And The Snow Dog". It may also be a reference to the popular Youtube channel "Gone to the Snow Dogs", which features content centralized around huskies.
- The Pit Bull name "Bubba" is potentially a reference to the video called "Bubba eating slop" on YouTube posted by the user "dec home", which features a Pit Bull eating an amalgam of different foods.
- The Pit Bull name "Kona" is also a reference to Khaios, he had to leave this dog with his parents when he moved to Japan.
- The Bestiary entry for the Town Dog: "A loyal companion to many. Excitable and always ready for action."
See also[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Added "Pebbles" as a possible name for Labradors.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Introduced.
- Mobile 220.127.116.11.0: Introduced with changes from Desktop 18.104.22.168.
References[edit | edit source]