Treasure Bags are consumable items obtained in Expert Mode and Master Mode as a reward for defeating bosses. Its contents depend on the boss it comes from. It is opened by either right-clicking it inside the inventory or using it while it is in your hand. In multiplayer, each player that deals damage to the boss receives one Treasure Bag upon completion. Treasure Bags are client-side and will despawn upon exiting the world.
Each Treasure Bag contains the boss's usual drops from normal mode, along with one Expert mode-exclusive item (orange-highlighted items below) – with the exception of the Lunatic Cultist, Dark Mage, Betsy, and Ogre, who currently do not provide an Expert mode-exclusive item. Hardmode bosses' Treasure Bags additionally have a 5% chance to contain one random set of developer items (except for Queen Slime).
Expert mode-exclusive items all have the rarity, with the exception of 0x33's Aviators.
Each Treasure Bag has an internal rarity, despite being expert items, which always have a rarity.
In addition to the above, all Treasure Bags from Hardmode bosses (except Queen Slime's) have a 5% chance to contain a random set of developer items, meaning that each set has a 0.28% chance of being in a Hardmode boss Treasure Bag. Obtaining a Treasure Bag in an Expert world, then opening the bag in a Normal world will retain the Treasure Bag's chance to yield developer items.
Expert-exclusive item details[edit | edit source]
- In multiplayer, participation is based on damage dealt to the boss. Players who did not deal at least 1 point of damage to the boss will not receive a bag.
- It is advisable to open bags on the ground in a quiet area if you have a full inventory as the delay in picking up the prizes can cause items to fall to other players.
- Treasure yields are considerably higher in multiplayer - multiple bags are handed out, with each containing the entire reward of a kill, and drop rates on the boss's unique items are often doubled.
- Trophies are not obtained from Treasure Bags. Instead, they are dropped separately from the boss itself.
- The Moon Lord's Treasure Bag is the only one to include both more than two Expert mode items and no money.
- Betsy's Treasure Bag is the only (obtainable) bag that does not have an Expert mode item. It is also (along with the Moon Lord's) one of the only ones to contain no money, replacing coins with Defender Medals.
- The Lunatic Cultist, Ogre, and Dark Mage have sprites for a Treasure Bag, even though they do not drop one.
- Unlike the Lunatic Cultist's Treasure Bag, the Ogre and Dark Mage do not have data assigned to their Treasure Bags, as attempting to hack in either one will cause them to disappear from the player's inventory instantly.
- Queen Slime's Treasure Bag is the only Treasure Bag to not have the tooltip "Right Click to open"
- Additionally, it is the only hardmode Treasure Bag to not drop developer items.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Added Queen Slime and Empress of Light's Treasure Bags.
- Sprites updated.
- Added Ghostar, Safeman, FoodBarbarian and Grox the Great's sets to the drop pool.
- Added Celestial Starboard to Moon Lord's Treasure Bag.
- Added Arkhalis to Arkhalis' set.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Fixed Betsy's Treasure Bag having an incorrect name (was "ItemName.BossBagBetsy").