- Internal NPC ID: 160
The Truffle is a Hardmode NPC vendor who sells various mushroom-themed items. To get the Truffle to move in, there must be a vacant House in (or near) a surface Glowing Mushroom biome. Surface Glowing Mushroom biomes must be created manually by a player and do not generate naturally. 101 blocks of Mushroom grass and Mushroom plants are required.
Items sold[edit | edit source]
|Mushroom Cap||2||Always available.|
|Strange Glowing Mushroom||45||Always available.|
|Dark Blue Solution||25||Always available.|
|Mushroom Spear||70||After at least one mechanical boss has been defeated.|
|Hammush||40||After at least one mechanical boss has been defeated.|
|Autohammer||1||After Plantera has been defeated.|
|Any Pylon||10||When in a specific biome and is happy enough.|
Living preferences [edit | edit source]
For more information, see NPC happiness.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If other NPCs are waiting to move in, they may move into a Glowing Mushroom biome home before the Truffle can. When attempting to spawn the Truffle, try to make sure enough Houses exist for other NPCs that have not yet spawned. Even after constructing a house meeting all the architectural requirements, it may still be "not valid housing;" that may be because there is too much Corruption or Crimson beneath the house, meaning you'll have to dig under and purify it.
- The house itself needs to be located on the surface, else the game will say the house is unsuitable for the Truffle.
- The Truffle is male and has a chance to be teleported by a King Statue.
- The Truffle cannot be relocated to a house outside a surface Glowing Mushroom biome but can be moved to a different valid house in another surface Glowing Mushroom biome. Trying to move him to an invalid house will give the error message, "This housing does not meet the requirements for a Truffle".
- The Truffle can however stay in a house after the surface Glowing Mushroom biome is destroyed. This can be exploited by creating an artificial Glowing Mushroom biome near all of the other houses and NPCs, have him move in, then destroy the corresponding Glowing Mushroom biome, therefore having all of your NPCs in one place outside of a Glowing Mushroom biome.
- A mushroom biome will need to be comprised of at least 150 blocks for the Truffle to move in. Any less will display the message "This housing does not meet the requirements for a Truffle."
- The Truffle's eyes and the top of his head glow in the dark.
- The Truffle is the only NPC to not keep their arms bent while walking.
- Despite requiring to live in a surface Glowing Mushroom biome, he can sell other pylons due to hybrid biomes. The exception to this are the Forest and Cavern pylons, which are mutually exclusive and only available when not within one of the other biomes.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
Names[edit | edit source]
The Truffle may have any of the following names:
Quotes[edit | edit source]
Interaction quotes[edit | edit source]
When Clothier is present:
When Dryad is present:
During a Party:
During a Windy Day:
During a Thunderstorm:
When in a Graveyard:
Happiness quotes [edit | edit source]
When living in a sparsely populated area:
When in a Mushroom biome:
When near the Guide:
When near the Princess:
When near the Dryad:
When near the Clothier:
When near the Witch Doctor:
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- All of his names are types of mushroom or toadstool.
- The Truffle's defensive weapon, the mushroom spores, have the highest DPS of any NPC.
- He is the only NPC that requires a specific biome to live in except for the Witch Doctor in the . version
- The quote "You haven't seen any pigs around here have you? My brother lost his leg to one." is a reference to the historical use of pigs to locate truffles.
- The quote "As if living underground wasn't bad enough, jerks like you come in while I'm sleeping and steal my children." is a reference to players exploring Glowing Mushroom biomes and collecting Glowing Mushrooms.
- The quote "I don't know the 'Truffle Shuffle,' so stop asking!" is a reference to the movie "The Goonies".
- The quote "I tried to lick myself the other day to see what the big deal was, everything started glowing blue." references the use of mushrooms as a recreational drug.
- The quote "Everyone in this town feels a bit off. I woke up to the clothier chewing on my foot last night." implies the Clothier wants to eat the Truffle, further supported by "[Name of Clothier] has tried to eat me so many times. I swear, one time they weren't even human! I, obviously, dislike this."
- The quote "[Name of Clothier] has tried to eat me so many times. I swear, one time they weren't even human! I, obviously, dislike this." is a reference to how the Clothier transforms into Skeletron as the Old Man.
- The Bestiary entry for the Truffle: "Harnessing the hidden power of the glowing mushroom, the Truffle forges weapons and tools exclusively in his mushroom home."
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.2.4: Fixed a bug where the Truffle had a hole in his shop if you didn't meet a requirement.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.06: Now requires a Mechanical Boss to be defeated before selling the Mushroom Spear.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.11212: Now requires a Mechanical Boss to be defeated before selling the Mushroom Spear.
- Mobile 1.2.7901: Fixed a bug where the Truffle would take too long to move in. ()
- Mobile 1.2.7642: Fixed a bug where the Truffle would take too long to move in. ()
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.