The Truffle Worm is a rare Critter that spawns in the underground Mushroom biome during Hardmode. It is solely used to summon the Duke Fishron boss. In order to use it, it must be caught with the Bug Net and used as Bait with a Fishing Pole in an Ocean biome. It only spawns underground, and will not appear in surface Mushroom biomes.
The Truffle Worm is more difficult to catch than other Critters, as it burrows away when a player comes too close. It must be charged at quickly, with the Bug Net already swinging when arriving in its range, in order to successfully catch it.
Unlike most Critters, the Truffle Worm cannot be used for ordinary Fishing, nor for crafting a Cage. When attempting to use it as bait, the bobber will simply sit in the water indefinitely, unless fishing in an Ocean (where anything reeled in will summon Duke Fishron).
It is one of the few critters that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
Catching[edit | edit source]
- Truffle Worms will burrow themselves (despawn) if you are near them for about 1 second, so the use of a speed-enhancing item is suggested. A Grappling Hook, Wings, Lightning Boots or Tabi have speed improvements or dashing.
- Take note that if a Truffle Worm is let free by a player, it will also burrow, and despawn almost immediately if approached or stood near to for more than a few seconds.
- Even while burrowing, the Truffle Worm can be caught. If the Truffle Worm is in a small pit where it's impossible or very difficult to catch from above, and there's a cave below it, a player can jump up directly under it and swing the bug net to catch it as it tries to burrow downward.
- Summoned minions do not directly target the Truffle Worm, though they can inadvertently kill it.
- A Rod of Discord makes catching Truffle Worms easy. Just warp right next to them, quickly swap to your Bug Net, and snatch it.
- Using a Golden Bug Net can make it easier to catch the Truffle Worm before it burrows as it has a longer reach and swings faster than a normal Bug Net.
- A simple but perhaps slower way to farm them, for those less interested in creating farms, is to simply move away from and back to a Mushroom biome repeatedly, causing new monsters to spawn and potentially a Truffle Worm.
- On the , as well as the version Mobile version, Truffle Worms follow Worm AI (likely due to a code typo), but do not damage the player. This makes them much easier to catch.
- Although the Truffle Worm is considered an enemy, the Hunter Potion will not highlight it.
Spawning[edit | edit source]
- Despite the Truffle Worm posing no threat, it is considered an enemy rather than a Critter. Thus, NPCs should not be used as a means to increase the proportion of critters in the total number of creatures spawned.
- Although the Truffle Worm is considered an enemy, other enemies can kill it. This includes all enemies present in an Underground Mushroom biome. If simply using a flattened stretch of Mushroom grass, be wary of other enemies, as they can make catching even a single Truffle Worm an aggravating task. Instead of just flat ground, a platform can be built below the grassy blocks, with most of the space above the mushroom grass blocked off and leaving only a one block high corridor to keep the worms safe from other monsters. The worms can then be collected up by swinging a net through the blocks from below.
- Water Candles and Battle Potions will increase its spawn rate.
- While a Water Candle or Battle Potion will cause more Truffle Worms to spawn, they will also greatly increase the likelihood of it dying due to being trampled by additional enemies.
- Each existing enemy may reduce the spawn rate of the next. Getting rid of excess enemies will give the Truffle Worm more opportunities to spawn.
- One way to increase your chances of finding Truffle Worms is to make a large section of the Underground Jungle into an Underground Mushroom Biome, using the Clentaminator with Dark Blue Solution. A slower alternative would be to use Mushroom Grass Seeds instead of Solution.
- 100 tiles of Mushroom Blocks are not necessary for Truffle Worms to spawn. Mushroom enemies and Truffle Worms will spawn wherever there is Mushroom grass, without requiring that the area is actually considered a Mushroom biome.
- On Mushroom grass, each enemy spawn has a 2/3 chance of being a mushroom-themed enemy or critter; each time this happens, there is a 1/7 chance (1/5 as of 22.214.171.124 ) that the mushroom-themed character is a Truffle Worm. Considering the maximum spawn rate (1/60 per tick), the maximum expected Truffle Worm spawns is 343 per hour (
2/3*1/7*3600) (480 as of 126.96.36.199 , although Truffle Worms can be killed by enemies in 1.3, drastically increasing the difficulty to reach the expectancy).
- The Portal Gun can be used to make an infinite falling loop. If it's high enough, going in can cause other enemies to despawn, allowing the Truffle Worm to have more chances to spawn.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The number 666 in the Truffle Worm's "666% bait power" is a reference to the Number of the Beast, commonly associated with Satan.
- When carrying the Truffle Worm as your first bait, the Fisherman's Pocket Guide (and its combined accessories) will display a player's fishing power simply as "Warning!", due to the fact that Duke Fishron will spawn when using this as bait in an Ocean Biome and no fish will be caught when not in an Ocean Biome.
- The combination of truffle and worm represented by the Truffle Worm ties in with the combined fish and pig-like nature of Duke Fishron.
- Traditionally, pigs have been utilized for the extraction of edible truffles (a highly prized food).
- The Truffle Worm appears to be the only worm in the game to have visible eyes.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Fixed Truffle Worm not spawning.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Truffle Worms can now be killed by monsters.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Fixed a bug where trying to use multiple Truffle Worms while the line is pulled would make numerous Duke Fishrons appear. Fixed issues where the Truffle Worm would be consumed without summoning Duke Fishron.
- Desktop 1.2.4: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.