|AI Type||Passive Worm AI|
|Internal NPC ID: 374-375|
|Use time||14 (Very Fast)|
|Internal Item ID: 2673|
The Truffle Worm is a rare Critter that spawns in the underground Mushroom Biome during Hardmode. It is solely used to summon the Duke Fishron boss. In order to use it, it must be caught with the Bug Net and used as Bait with a Fishing Pole in an Ocean biome. It only spawns underground, and will not appear in surface Mushroom biomes. (In the Mobile version, it will also spawn in a Surface Mushroom Biome.)
The Truffle Worm is more difficult to catch than other Critters, as it burrows away when a player comes too close. It must be charged at quickly, with the Bug Net already swinging when arriving in its range, in order to successfully catch it.
Unlike most Critters, the Truffle Worm cannot be used for ordinary Fishing, nor for crafting a Cage. When attempting to use it as bait, the bobber will simply sit in the water indefinitely, unless fishing in an ocean.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
|Like a Boss • "Obtain a boss-summoning item."|
|Obtain any boss-summoning item.|
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The player should ensure that there is room in their inventory. Once the player's inventory is full, any caught critter (Truffle Worms included) will drop to the ground as an item, and can only be collected once the player has made room in their inventory.
- Despite the Truffle Worm posing no threat, it is considered an enemy. Thus, having NPCs in the vicinity decreases its spawn rate. As such, NPCs should not be used as a means to increase the proportion of critters in the total number of creatures spawned.
- Although the Truffle Worm is considered an enemy, other enemy mobs can kill it. This includes all enemies present in an Underground Mushroom Biome. If simply using a flattened stretch of mushroom grass, be wary of other enemy mobs, as they can make catching even a single Truffle Worm an aggravating task.
- Water Candles and Battle Potions will increase its spawn rate.
- Each existing enemy may reduce the spawn rate of the next. Getting rid of excess enemies will give the Truffle Worm more opportunities to spawn.
- Summoned minions do not directly target the Truffle Worm, though they can inadvertently kill it.
- One way to increase your chances of finding Truffle Worms is to make a large section of the Underground Jungle into an Underground Mushroom Biome, using the Clentaminator and Dark Blue Solution. Alternatively, Mushroom Grass Seeds can be used instead of Solution.
- A Hunter Potion may be useful because the Truffle Worm has a color scheme very similar to the biome. The potion will make it glow red, making it easier to see.
- 100 tiles of Mushroom Blocks are not necessary for Truffle Worms to spawn. Mushroom enemies and Truffle Worms will spawn wherever there is mushroom grass, without requiring that the area is actually considered a Mushroom biome.
- On mushroom grass, each enemy spawn has a 2/3 chance of being a mushroom-themed enemy or critter; each time this happens, there is a 1/7 chance(1/5 in 1.3) that the mushroom-themed character is a Truffle Worm. Considering the maximum spawn rate (1/60 per tick), the maximum expected Truffle Worm spawns is 343 per hour (2/3*1/7*3600) (480 in 1.3, although Truffle Worms can be killed by mobs in 1.3, drastically increasing the difficulty to reach the expectancy).
- Truffle Worms will burrow themselves (despawn) if you are near them for about 1 second, so the use of a speed-enhancing item is suggested. For example: a Grappling Hook, Wings, Lightning Boots or Tabi have speed improvements or dashing.
- Take note that if a Truffle Worm is let free by a player, it will also burrow, and despawn almost immediately if approached or stood near to for more than a few seconds.
- Even while burrowing, the Truffle Worm can be caught. If the Truffle Worm is in a small pit where it's impossible or very difficult to catch from above, and there's a cave below it, a player can jump up directly under it and swing the bug net to catch it as it tries to burrow downward.
- A simple but perhaps slower way to farm them, for those less interested in creating farms, is to simply move away from and back to a mushroom biome repeatedly, causing new monsters to spawn and potentially a Truffle Worm.
- A Rod of Discord makes catching Truffle Worms easy. Just warp right next to them, quickly swap to your Bug Net, and snatch it.
- A player can farm Truffle Worms easily if they use an Invisibility Potion. The Invisibility Potion will allow the player to go near the Truffle worm without it burrowing.
- The Lifeform Analyzer can detect the Truffle Worm.
- Using a Golden Bug Net can make it easier to catch the Truffle Worm before it burrows as it has a longer reach and swings faster than Bug Net.
- On the Mobile version, Truffle Worms do not move but will burrow, similar to the PC version. While burrowing, the Truffle Worm will then attempt to chase the player (though it will despawn immediately upon exiting the screen, making this a rare occurrence)
- On the 3DS version, Truffle worms do not move or burrow when you go near them so it is much easier to obtain
- The Portal Gun can be used to make an infinite falling loop. If it's high enough, going in can cause other enemies to despawn, allowing the Truffle Worm to have more chances to spawn.
- Having a jungle biome nearby will increase their spawn rate.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The number 666 in the Truffle Worm's "666% bait power" is a reference to the Number of the Beast, commonly associated with Satan.
- When carrying the Truffle Worm as your first bait, the Fisherman's Pocket Guide (and its combined accessories) will display a player's fishing power simply as "Warning!", due to the fact that Duke Fishron will spawn when using this as bait in an Ocean Biome and no fish will be caught when not in an Ocean Biome.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Fixed Truffle worm not spawning.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Truffle worms can now be killed by monsters.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Fixed a bug where trying to use multiple Truffle Worms while the line is pulled would make numerous Fishrons appear. Fixed issues where the Truffle Worm would be consumed without summoning Duke Fishron.
- Desktop 1.2.4: Introduced.