- This article is about the snow-themed biome. For the block, see Snow Block. For the weather event, see Rain.
The Snow biome, also known as the Tundra, is a biome that takes on an arctic theme, being primarily composed of Snow and Ice Blocks, and displaying a constant snowfall effect. Trees within Snow biomes have a snowy cover on them and yield Boreal Wood instead of ordinary Wood. Shiverthorn, an herb, can be found regularly across the surface in the Snow. During rain, a Snow biome will undergo a blizzard instead, where snowfall increases, causing decreased visibility and the Ice Golem rarely spawns (in Hardmode). The Clothier, Merchant, and Painter NPCs each sell a unique item when in the Snow biome. The Snow biome will always spawn on the same side as the Dungeon and the opposite side of the Jungle and Underground Desert.
In pre-Hardmode, only two enemies show up in the Snow biome regularly: the Ice Slime and the Frozen Zombie. The only critter is the Penguin, which regularly appears throughout the biome, and gets turned into a Corrupt/Vicious Penguin during a Blood Moon.
In Hardmode, the Snow biome gets a bit of a boost. At night, Ice Elementals and Wolves begin to spawn often. During Blizzards, Ice Golems have a rare chance to spawn and drop useful items, though note that it is quite difficult to fight due to its Frost Beam attack inflicting the Chilled debuff (slowed movement speed) for 45 seconds/90 seconds and the Frozen debuff (completely frozen, 20% chance of being inflicted) for 1 second/2 seconds. Any enemy killed in the Snow biome in Hardmode also has a 1 in 300 chance of dropping the Amarok yo-yo, which is quite powerful and inflicts the Frostburn debuff to hit enemies.
The Snow biome has its own biome chest in the Dungeon which can be opened by a Frozen Key after Plantera is defeated. Any enemy defeated in the Snow biome has a 1 in 2,500 chance (0.04%) of dropping the Frozen Key (on the Desktop, Console, and Mobile versions) or the Frozen Key Mold (on the Old-gen console and ), which is crafted into the Frozen Key). The Frozen Chest contains the Staff of the Frost Hydra, a sentry summon weapon.
Fishing in the Snow biome has a chance of yielding Atlantic Cod, Frost Daggerfish, and Frost Minnow. Atlantic Cod is used to craft Cooked Fish and Frost Minnow is used to craft Warmth Potions, which reduces damage from cold-themed enemies by 30% and is very useful in the Snow biome. Frost Daggerfish are actually ranged weapons (on Desktop version)/throwing weapons (on Console and Mobile versions) and can be useful at the beginning of the game. Frozen Crates and Boreal Crates can also be caught in the Snow biome in pre-Hardmode and Hardmode, respectively, and always include one item from Frozen Chests (alongside other loot).
On the , versionnormal sized worlds only have a 1/3 chance of containing a Snow biome.
When in a Snow biome, the music track Snow will play during both during the day and night, no matter what the weather conditions are. However if corrupted/crimsoned then the Corruption or Crimson music will override.
Contents[edit | edit source]
Happiness[edit | edit source]
- NPCs that like the Snow Biome:
- NPCs that dislike Snow Biome:
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Player-created Snow biomes are possible by placing more than 1,500 Snow Blocks and/or Ice Blocks in an area.
- Water does not turn into ice blocks in a Snow biome. Ice blocks are generated only on world creation.
- Snow biomes are somewhat immune to surface Hallow and Corruption/Crimson spread, since snow blocks cannot be transformed. However, Ice Blocks are affected and will be transformed into Pink Ice Blocks (Hallow), Purple Ice Blocks (Corruption) and Red Ice Blocks (Crimson), which mostly affects the Ice biome.
- Grass will not grow on Dirt Blocks in a Snow biome.
- From surface to underground, the snow biome will always generate in a shape similar to a trapezoid.
- The Snow biome will always be located on the opposite side of the world as the Underground Desert and the Jungle. Both the Snow Biome and Jungle can generate near or in spawn.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Angler refers to this biome as the "Tundra".
- Before Desktop version 1.4, the Snow Biome was the only Biome that was required to craft an item, which was the Snow Cloud.
- The Angler will still display quests for the Mutant Flinxfin, Pengfish, and Tundra Trout in the mobile version even if the world doesn't contain a Snow biome.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- Added new backgrounds.
- Added the alternative Snow music, originally from Terraria: Otherworld, which plays once the player has entered the 05162020 seed and pressed the "Music" option in the Party Girl's menu.
- Biome now requires 1500 blocks, increased from 300.
- Frozen Crates and Boreal Crates can now be caught when fishing in the Snow biome and always drop one item normally found in Frozen Chests, alongside other loot.
- Now generates farther away from Spawn.
- Shaking Boreal trees in the Snow biome has a chance to drop either Acorns, Boreal Wood, a Cherry, some coins, or a Plum.
- The Cyborg, Mechanic, Santa Claus, and Tax Collector NPCs now like living in the Forest, while the Arms Dealer, Nurse, Stylist, and Tavernkeep dislike it.
- Zombies Eskimo renamed to Frozen Zombie and the Eskimo armor it has a rare chance of dropping renamed to Snow armor.
- Desktop 1.3.2: Pedguin's set now has a 2% (1 in 50) chance of dropping from Corrupt and Vicious Penguins.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11:
- Added armed Zombie Eskimos in Expert mode.
- Added the Vicious Penguin.
- Any enemy killed in the Snow biome in Hardmode now has a 1 in 300 chance of dropping the Amarok yo-yo.
- Enemies now, once again, drop Frozen Keys instead of Frozen Key Molds. However, the Frozen Chest in the Dungeon cannot be unlocked until Plantera is defeated.
- If the player falls into water in the Snow biome in Expert mode, they are affected with the Chilled debuff when in the water and for five seconds after getting out.
- Snow no longer falls in front of blocks.
- Desktop 1.2.4:
- Atlantic Cod and Frost Minnow fish can now be caught when fishing in the Snow biome and can be turned into Cooked Fish and Warmth Potions, respectively.
- Snow trees now drop Boreal Wood.
- The Shiverthorn herb can now be found on the surface in the Snow Biome.
- Two Angler quest fish can now be caught in the Snow biome (only when the Angler asks for them), including the Pengfish and Tundra Trout.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Ice Golems no longer drop Frost armor. Instead, they now always drop a Frost Core on death, which is used to craft Frost armor.
- Desktop 1.2.1: Enemies within the Snow biome no longer drop Frozen Keys, instead they now drop Frozen Key Molds which can be crafted into Frozen Keys.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168.1: Fixed random crashing when in a snow biome in multiplayer.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Snow particles will no longer spawn on backwalls.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Now generates in all worlds (instead of 1/3 of worlds not generated during the Christmas season, and all worlds generated during the Christmas season).
- Added the Blizzard event, which occurs in the Snow biome when it's raining.
- Can now be infected by the Corruption/Crimson and Hallow (creating Purple, Red, and Pink Ice Blocks).
- Enemies killed within the Hardmode Snow biome now have a 0.04% (1 in 2,500) chance of dropping the Frozen Key which can be used to unlock the Frozen Chest in the Dungeon.
- Ice biome, the Underground equivalent to the Snow biome, added.
- Ice Blocks added.
- New background.
- New theme music.
- Some vendor NPCs sell specific items from within the Snow Biome:
- Snowy trees now drop acorns.
- Unique enemies added, including the Corrupt Penguin, Ice Elemental, Ice Golem, Ice Slime, Wolf, and Zombie Eskimo, along with the new Penguin critter.
- Unique enemies' respective drops added:
- Ice Elementals have a 2% (1 in 50) chance of dropping the Frost Staff and a 0.56% (1 in 180) chance of dropping the Ice Sickle.
- Ice Golems have a 33.33% (1 in 3) chance of dropping the Ice Feather and a 2% (1 in 50) chance of dropping the Frost Staff. It also has a guaranteed chance of dropping one piece of the Frost armor.
- Zombie Eskimos have a 0.67% (1 in 150) chance of dropping each piece of the Eskimo armor.