A player falling using an Umbrella and attacking a dummy.
"Umbrellas! Umbrellas! Get your half-off umbrellas!"
— The Merchant
The Umbrella is a held item, and on Desktop, a melee weapon as well. It can be found in surface Chests and in Wooden Crates. When held, the Umbrella appears above the character and allows the player to fall at a slower rate. It replicates the effect of the Featherfall Potion and prevents fall damage.
Its best modifier is Legendary.
- Holding an Umbrella while flying on a Flying Carpet will increase the flight time significantly.
- It is not necessary to hold out the Umbrella for the entirety of the fall. It can be pulled out in the last seconds before touching the ground and still instantly prevents fall damage.
- Since it is similar to the Featherfall Potion, the player can hold the ▼ Down key to go down very quickly.
- The Umbrella is very useful when doing a multi-jump with a bottle accessory (e.g. Cloud in a Bottle) and other accessories that increase jump height.
- Keeping the Umbrella in the hotbar for quick access can be life-saving for unexpectedly long falls.
- The Umbrella is highly effective when falling with a high horizontal speed, e.g. with the maximum speed of a Minecart. Riding off the edge of a suspended Minecart Track while holding an Umbrella facilitates traveling very long horizontal distances. If the rail is high enough, distances reaching even halfway across the map can be traveled.
- With the Shield of Cthulhu, enemies can be attacked while floating down.
- Since it is possible to attack with the Umbrella mid-fall, in order to increase speed going down without being too fast, the player may attack while falling.
- Use of an Umbrella in place of a parachute to slow a fall from a great height is a common comedic trope.
- Having an Umbrella in the first inventory slot will cause the arm of a character's selection sprite to be in the up position as if it were holding an umbrella.
- Despite being an umbrella, it has no effect against the Angry Nimbus.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Can now be used as a weapon in addition to the original function.