- See also: Desert.
The entrance can be found on the surface in the form of a deep funnel shape, opening into the biome at the bottom. The entrance is always within one of the desert biomes created upon world generation. Each world will have only one Underground Desert, despite potentially having multiple Deserts.
The Underground Desert is made primarily of tunnels of Sandstone Blocks. The Underground Desert can also have Underground Cabins made of its biome-specific materials. It is very large when fully explored, rivaling even the dungeon in size. It has either a circular or oval shape.
The Underground Desert is home to several species of antlion, some of which are able to move and even fly. Due to their high life, defense, and damage, it is advised the player avoid this area until equipped with Gold Armor or better. Additionally, the enemies found here have high knockback resistance, which can prove difficult for players who do not possess strong weapons. Early players will often meet a swift death at the hands of one of the Tomb Crawlers, which can kill a new player in three hits.
In Hardmode, the Underground Desert becomes significantly more challenging. Along with harder enemies, the Underground Desert is extremely vulnerable to conversion by the Corruption, Crimson, and Hallow due to the biome being made of Hardened Sand and Sandstone, both of which being susceptible to conversion. Conversion further strengthens the Underground Desert's enemies, and in the Corruption and Crimson Underground Deserts, causes the spawn of Desert Spirits.
Removing the Sandstone background wall will essentially remove the biome, same as with the Spider Caves.
Contents[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The enemies are very dangerous early on, so it is advised to have ample Grenades on hand as well as some form of movement-based Accessory to make it less difficult to deal with them. Gold/Platinum armor is recommended due to the high damage dealt by the Antlion Swarmers and Chargers.
- It seems that the underground desert always spawns as a circle or an oval.
- While artificial Underground Deserts can be created by placing their respective blocks, no unique enemies will ever spawn due to lack of specialized back walls. It shares this trait with the Dungeon.
- It seems that the Underground Desert has more Iron or Lead than other metals.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In the real world, larval antlions create funnel-like pits in the ground and fling sand at prey that pass by. The entrance to this biome may be based on this behavior.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()