The Underground Jungle is one of the most difficult areas to traverse. Located below the surface Jungle, it is a dense network of small caverns, populated with thorns, water, and some of the most challenging enemies for most stages in the game.
Jungle Shrines and Underground Cabins are common, often containing chests with rare items. Materials such as Stingers, Jungle Spores, and Vines can also be gathered here in abundance. There are also approximately 3/5/7 Bee Hives (depending on world size) filled with honey and at least one Queen Bee Larva. The Jungle Temple is also located here, which only becomes accessible once Plantera is defeated in Hardmode.
On the Desktop version, Living Mahogany Trees can be found with an Ivy Chest in them. Beehive background objects spawn in both the surface and Underground Jungle; when hit, they fall to the ground and break, spawning Bees and an occasional Hornet. Beehives can also be dislodged with grappling hooks.
- Corruption/Crimson will slowly convert mud blocks to dirt (Hallow will not); Corruption/Crimson and Hallow will spread to corruptible blocks up to three tiles away.
- Chlorophyte Ore will grow from Mud Blocks.
- Life Fruits will grow when one Mechanical Boss has been defeated on Desktop version.
On Old-gen console version and Mobile version, they will grow before any Mechanical Boss is defeated, albeit in smaller numbers.
- Once all three Mechanical Bosses have been defeated, Plantera's Bulbs spawn in the Underground Jungle, which are used to summon Plantera.
- After defeating Plantera, the Jungle Temple can then be entered to summon Golem.
- All enemies in the Underground Jungle have a chance of dropping a Jungle Key, or if you're on Mobile, a Jungle Key Mold.
Contents[edit | edit source]
|Characters||Unique Treasures||Unique Drops|
| From Ivy Chests:
After killing a Mechanical Boss:
Location[edit | edit source]
|Map Size||Min Start Depth||Average Start Depth||Max Start Depth|
|Small||60 ft||240 ft||420 ft|
|Medium||90 ft||360 ft||630 ft|
|Large||120 ft||480 ft||840 ft|
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.1:
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- Desktop 1.2.4:
- Desktop 1.2:
- Added bosses Queen Bee and Hardmode Plantera and Golem.
- Added Bee Hive and Jungle Temple (accessible after defeating Plantera).
- Added Life Fruit (Hardmode), each permanently increases the player's health capacity by 5.
- Added drops Bezoar and Hardmode Adhesive Bandage.
- Hornets and Man Eaters can now drop Ancient Cobalt armor pieces.
- Added Lac Beetle (Violet Husk), Spiked Jungle Slime, and Hardmode Jungle Creeper, Moss Hornet (Tattered Bee Wing), and Moth (Butterfly Dust).
- Added Rich Mahogany, Sky Blue Flower, and Hardmode Angry Trapper (Uzi), Arapaima, and Giant Tortoise (Turtle Shell) to Jungle and Underground Jungle.
- Desktop 1.0.6:
- Desktop 1.0.5:
- Desktop 1.0.4:
- Desktop 1.0.3: Hornets and Man Eaters can now drop Jungle armor pieces instead of Cobalt armor (same stats, re-named armor).
- Desktop-Release: Introduced with Jungle Shrines, Jungle Grass Seeds, Jungle Rose, Hornet (Stinger), Man Eater (Vine) (both dropped original Cobalt armor).