- 1 Question
- 2 Removal Reason?
- 3 Music Tracks on biome, event and boss pages need separate sections
- 4 Duplicate Music Files
- 5 Problem with Bestiary Template on spiders and Sand Poacher pages
- 6 Any real reason for that revert on Bacon?
- 7 Changes to Guide to Critter Companionship
- 8 achievement edit undone
- 9 Camera mode biome filters images to be uploaded
- 10 Regarding outdated French Pages about Music and Music Boxes
Hi Dinoxel, Thanks for helping me clean up some of my recent contributions and pointing me at some rules I'd missed! I've been noticing that a lot of content on the wiki seems to be automatically pulled from some data store or database. Does that data need to be manually updated, or does it come from data mining? I actually created an account to try to add the new Boomerang -> Enchanted Boomerang recipe to those pages when 1.4 launched, but looking on those pages, it's obvious that I would need to edit something else (and it's not clear that there will be any need to do so). Berggen (talk) 13:01, 15 May 2020 (UTC)
- Hi Berggen, no problem. And yes, almost all of the information on the wiki is now automatically gathered from various databases (that you can found here), which include recipes and information in infoboxes. So no, you won't have to manually edit each recipe section that changed, however once the new source code of the 1.4 will be added to the wiki by admins, because due to their importance these pages are protected, we will have to manually edit the expected total number of rows on every page. The list can be found here: Category:Recipes table with unexpected total number of rows. Dinoxel talk 13:19, 15 May 2020 (UTC)
Removal Reason?[edit source]
- Hi! I decided to moved them out to mode templates (and resize them), so they will be used all over the wiki in the top banners and soon on infoboxes. Also, the pictures can take a lot of place on Mobile devices and "break" the layout. --Dinoxel talk 05:25, 2 June 2020 (UTC)
Music Tracks on biome, event and boss pages need separate sections[edit source]
The music tracks on their biome and event pages are incorporated in the contents sections. I think it is best that we make a separate section on each of these pages, in addition to boss pages, similar to Minecraft Wiki. --Superwill771 (talk) 00:30, 4 July 2020 (UTC)
- Hey, I think tracks could be written in the intro similar to how they are already on boss pages, however I don't think the Minecraft Wiki layout for sounds would suit well here. --Dinoxel talk 04:28, 4 July 2020 (UTC)
- I very much liked how compactly the music information could be integrated into the page via the "Contents" infocard. The only information that is relevant on the biome page is what track is playing or what tracks are playing there, and the previous format was well fit for that. Album, version, or even description of a track have nothing to do with the biome anymore at all – the Music page exists for a reason, it is the proper place for that information (also, yet another case of introducing duplicate data... having two places where the information is displayed will inevitably lead to discrepancy and inconsistency, with one of them being outright wrong in the worst case). Furthermore, it is unnecessary to make an entire section if its text is the same for every page, on top of being, again, completely irrelevant to the biome (neither the mechanic of Otherworld music nor the existence of Music Boxes has anything to do with the biome).
- I am in favor of undoing these changes.
- Side note: Please don't use boldface on the page title in the middle of the article. As stated in the style guide, only its first mention, in the intro, is to be bolded ("No other instance of the page title should be bold.").
- --Rye Greenwood (talk) 01:24, 8 July 2020 (UTC)
- Exactly. It is always possible to add more information and more functions, but more often than not, that does not result in an improved experience for the majority of readers. With the original format, everybody who reads about a biome has the option to give its music a quick listen by clicking the little speaker icon, but is otherwise not irritated or distracted from the main article, since the information integrates so seamlessly with the "Contents" infocard. Readers who are interested in learning more about the track, or want to listen to specific parts of it repeatedly are taken to the Music page by a single click. Now with the current format, everybody who reads about a biome is forced to scroll through a section that takes up a considerable amount of space (especially on smaller screens) and contains information that has not much to do with the page's topic, has hardly any bearing on gameplay, and is most likely not what the reader visited the page for.
- I don't know how the Minecraft Wiki presents this kind of information and in what format or context, but I'm positive there are good reasons why the community there decided that their format is sensible for their use case.
- If there are no further objections, I will go ahead and restore the original format.
- --Rye Greenwood (talk) 02:37, 14 July 2020 (UTC)
Duplicate Music Files[edit source]
- I will when I will be able to. I'm just a moderator at the moment. --Dinoxel talk 20:14, 5 July 2020 (UTC)
Problem with Bestiary Template on spiders and Sand Poacher pages[edit source]
Any real reason for that revert on Bacon?[edit source]
- Well, I read the two propositions for a couple of seconds before reverting and it seems that "easier" sounded better to me even while translating it in French. --Dinoxel talk 02:27, 16 July 2020 (UTC)
- Personally, I try not to revert minor changes like that unless they actually introduce an error, or the change is clearly inferior. Letting minor changes stand allows for a slow evolution which IMHO is often good for a wiki. If it looks like a page has instead decayed, then I'll rewrite and deal with whole passages at once. --MentalMouse42 (talk) 23:51, 16 July 2020 (UTC)
Changes to Guide to Critter Companionship[edit source]
Hello, I see you reverted my change to the wiki with regards to the Guide to Critter Companionship NOT preventing you from dealing damage to explosive bunnies in the for the worthy seed. This is in fact the case, so I don't know why you reverted. If you want me to show you some proof I can add you on discord or something. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) at 13:31, 22 July 2020
- My apologies, I have reverted it unintentionally. From what I can see it's now back on the page, thanks for your contribution! --Dinoxel talk 11:17, 25 July 2020 (UTC)
achievement edit undone[edit source]
Actually, those achievements are on the PS4. I know that because I have a PS4 and it has all of those achievements on it — Preceding unsigned comment added by Robophilip (talk • contribs) at 18:10, 6 August 2020 UTC
Camera mode biome filters images to be uploaded[edit source]
- Hey, you can find the file here: File:Biome filter icons.png. --Dinoxel talk 17:26, 28 September 2020 (UTC)
- I have no clue either what is this runner icon for, I tried a few things but without result. I'll ask on Discord. --Dinoxel talk 13:19, 29 September 2020 (UTC)
Regarding outdated French Pages about Music and Music Boxes[edit source]
Both Pages are outdated, as the Music page has no info about Otherworldy tracks and the final one. And the Music page lacks 1.4 tracks. Also, both pages has no history section. I know i'm unable to edit for three days, but I would like to bring attention on those pages (and the red links on them). --Superwill771 (talk) 16:41, 19 October 2020 (UTC)
- I blocked you because you wouldn't stop editing the pages related to the French 1.4 category although we told you to stop several times.
- Also, we are only 2 active native French members on the French wiki comparate to the English wiki so we cannot deal with all the problems at the same time. I'm already aware these pages are outdated because all French pages are but in my opinion, we have to focus into some more important pages before such as the Master and Journey modes... But thank you for pointing out these two pages.
- However, I really appreciate your help because we really lack contributors but not listening to our requests wasn't a smart move from you. I can unblock you if promess not to continue what we told you not to do.
- One last thing, if you would give a sign of existence after someone answered to one of the messages you asked to someone that would be great in order to know if you have read the said answer. Hence why we blocked you twice; you didn't answer any of the comments we left on your user page and profile, so that was our only solution to be sure you would have read it. --Dinoxel (talk) 00:44, 20 October 2020 (UTC)