- For the Old-gen console, Mobile, and variant of the Undead Miner, see Vampire Miner.
Vampires are Hardmode enemies that spawn only during a Solar Eclipse, during which they are about as common as a Zombie. Vampires will turn into a bat if the player is above them and attempt to fly near the player and turn back into a humanoid. They can inflict the Bleeding debuff and deal large amounts of damage, one of the highest amounts in the Eclipse.
- If you trap a Vampire and wait until next day, they will not take damage from the sun, but they will try to flee like many other nighttime enemies.
- Due to low lighting during a Solar Eclipse, it may be difficult to see this enemy before they strike you. Vampires in Terraria typically fly in as a bat which is relatively hard to see without artificial lighting. Therefore, using a Hunter Potion is recommended. Alternatively, try using light buffs (Shine Potion, Wisp in a Bottle) and watch for them as they fly in to prevent unnecessary damage.
- The Stake Launcher is a highly effective weapon against Vampires, as it deals greatly increased damage to them.
- The theme of almost all of the Solar Eclipse enemies is classic horror film icons. Vampires are a reference to the 1931 film "Dracula,"
- Being vulnerable to the Stake Launcher is obviously rooted in Vampire mythology/culture, where stakes are the usual method of destroying vampires.
- On the 3DS version, a Vampire can keep up with/outrun a player with Hermes Boots, even when it is not in its bat form.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11:
- Health increased from 500 to 750.
- Defense in bat form increased from 30 to 32.
- Defense in humanoid form increased from 20 to 24.