|Knockback||2.75 (Very Weak)|
|Use time||15 Very Fast|
|Tooltip||Rapidly throws life stealing daggers|
The Vampire Knives are a Hardmode post-Plantera melee weapon that auto-fires a spread of projectiles, but inflicts melee damage and has no mana or ammunition cost. The player is healed by a small amount with each hit scored on an enemy. The Vampire Knives are always found inside the Dungeon's Crimson Chest in Crimson worlds (Corruption worlds will not contain one, but will instead have a Corruption Chest containing a Scourge of the Corruptor). A Crimson Key will be needed to open the Crimson Chest.
Vampire Knives fire between 4 to 8 fast knife projectiles at a maximum spread of approximately 45 degrees. The 5th through 8th knives have a 50%, 25%, 12.5%, and 6.25% chance to be thrown, respectively (average is 5.625 knives thrown). The knives are not affected by gravity, but at 28 tiles will begin to spin and fade, dissipating entirely after another 26 tiles (54 tiles total range). The knives may disappear visually a few tiles before they actually become ineffective. The knives deliver the weapon's full damage per knife until they begin spinning and fading, at which point their damage drops gradually until they dissipate.
Whenever a knife hits an enemy, a red beam extends to the player, healing them. The healing effect is 7.5% (rounded up) of the damage dealt by the hit. For example, it will heal 3 points of health for every 40 damage dealt.
The Vampire Knives benefit from armor and accessories that provide melee bonuses, such as Turtle armor and the Fire Gauntlet, and not from ranged or magic bonuses, like those provided by Shroomite armor.
Its best Modifier is Godly.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- At full speed (when first thrown), the projectiles travel at 76 mph.
- Melee damage bonuses and modifiers increase healing.
- Melee attack speed bonuses and modifiers increase the knives' range and velocity.
- Vampire Knives will not absorb any health from Critters.
- Some higher melee speed bonuses will cripple the Vampire Knives, as this may cause the player to only throw the knives every other swing but the high melee speed will make them fly farther.
- Vampire Knives are less useful against the Moon Lord because of the Moon Bite debuff he can apply to the player, which disables the life-stealing effect of the knives.
- Due to their high speed, some of the Vampire Knives' projectiles may travel through 1-block thick walls.
- The healing effect is enacted not when the red beams from the enemies touch the player, but immediately as the player does damage.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Vampire Knives are a powerful endgame weapon. Despite their low damage per hit, they can cause high damage when multiple knives impact. They can be shot continuously at range while healing the player, at no ammo, mana, or consumable item cost.
- This weapon is effective against bosses. With proper preparation, it can be virtually impossible to die.
- While all Flasks work well with the Vampire Knives, using a Flask of Ichor will lower struck enemies' defense, increasing damage dealt, and thus increasing health recovered to the player. Note that the healing cap still applies.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.2.4: Fixed issue where Death Sickle and Vampire Knives would not animate properly on other players in multiplayer.
- Desktop 1.2.2: Items which regenerate health per hit now have a cap of 2 hearts per second.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Attack speed (12 now 16), damage (35 now 29), knockback (3.5% now 2.75%) and life return (10% now 7.5%) have all been reduced.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Fixed rare bug where the item would spawn pre hard-mode in the upper dungeon.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.