|Knockback||1 (Extremely weak)|
|Use time||28 (Average)|
|Tooltip||Summons a vile thorn|
- Vilethorn (base)
- Vilethorn (tip)
The Vilethorn is a magic weapon that extends a 15 tile-long spear-like projection from the player's position. It extends through blocks, piercing multiple enemies, and scores a rapid succession of up to 7 hits per enemy. Its total effect lasts roughly 1.5 seconds. It is one of the possible drops from destroying a Shadow Orb in the Corruption, but it can also be obtained from Corrupt Crates, which are caught from fishing in the Corruption.
The Vilethorn also inflicts minuscule knockback for each hit, which can stun-lock enemies.
Its best modifier is Mythical.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Vilethorn is the earliest weapon available to players that consistently travels through blocks.
- The Vilethorn is rather mana-efficient for its damage potential.
- With appropriate modifiers or accessories, it is possible to recover full mana between shots if the player stands still, allowing for sustained fire.
- Because it needs to hit multiple times in order to reach its full damage potential, the Vilethorn is susceptible to enemies with high defense, as the damage reduction is applied to each hit rather than the total amount. This weapon scales very poorly in Hardmode as a result. It shares this trait with other low-damage but high-firing rate weapons, such as the Minishark.
- The Vilethorn is the counterpart to the Crimson's Crimson Rod, as the Crimson Rod is the magic weapon drop from Crimson Hearts and also pierces through enemies.
- The Nettle Burst and Crystal Vile Shard operate similarly to the Vilethorn, and can be considered its Hardmode upgrades. The Crystal Vile Shard is dropped from Hallowed Mimics and Nettle Burst is only obtainable by defeating Plantera, a late-Hardmode boss. The Rainbow Gun, a similar post-Plantera weapon, produces the Vilethorn's freezing effect but does not travel through blocks.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The most useful trait of the Vilethorn is its ability to fire through solid blocks and pierce all enemies caught in it. Exploiting this, whenever a threat is encountered, the player can quickly set up a sealed bunker made of solid blocks and attack enemies with impunity from within.
- This trait also makes the Vilethorn useful against worm-type enemies who, ironically, are meant to stop players from simply walling themselves in. Bosses with multiple parts, such as Brain of Cthulhu's first stage, are also vulnerable.
- Because enemies that are vulnerable to knockback are essentially stopped in their tracks, and the Vilethorn has a duration just barely long enough for a player to recover all their mana and fire again before the effect ends, a player can essentially just lay down a constant thorn that paralyzes any enemy that passes nearby.
- Caster-type enemies such as the Fire Imp, Dark Caster and Tim cease attacking once they take any damage, and will not resume attacking for a while after. The Vilethorn can be useful for reaching these enemies so as to stop their assault.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Until the release of 1.2, this weapon was unique in its behavior. Since then, however, two more very similar weapons have been introduced – the Crystal Vile Shard (introduced in 22.214.171.124) which is obtainable in early Hardmode from Hallowed Mimics, and the Nettle Burst (introduced in 1.2), which drops from Plantera later in Hardmode. Other weapons have also been introduced that allow attacking through blocks while hiding from enemies, such as the Chlorophyte Partisan, Death Sickle, and Mushroom Spear.
See also[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Fixed projectiles making liquid ripples when they shouldn't.
- Desktop 1.3.1: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Damage increased from 8 to 10.
- Mana cost reduced from 12 to 10.
- Use time decreased from 29 to 27.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.