|Knockback||2 (Very Weak)|
|Use time||20 Very Fast|
|Tooltip||66% chance to not consume ammo|
'The catastrophic mixture of pew pew and boom boom.'
- Internal Item ID: 3475
The Vortex Beater is a Hardmode, post-Lunatic Cultist gun that fires both bullets and homing explosives in a cone similar to the Gatligator, but within approximately a 25 degree angle rather than the Gatligator's 45 degree firing pattern.
The explosives fired from it do not hurt the user. This makes it an ideal gun for close quarters, as it has a high DPS and the explosions knock enemies back. In addition, the explosives will home in on enemies, making it more forgiving if you miss the bullets. The explosives appear to fire at a consistent rate.
Bullets fired by the Vortex Beater are shot in an inaccurate manner. Due to the inaccuracy of the bullets, the Vortex Beater is somewhat better suited against larger enemies and bosses (which may be immune to the knockback effect of explosives). A better ranged weapon for single target damage would be Phantasm.
The Vortex Beater has a 66% chance not to consume ammo.
Its best Modifier is Unreal.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipe[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- While this weapon launches both bullets and explosives, it consumes only bullets as ammunition. It cannot use any form of rocket or explosive as ammunition, and will therefore not benefit from the Shroomite Helmet.
- Despite having a base use time of 20 (very fast), its rate of fire is actually a use time of 6 (insanely fast).
- It has an animation of acceleration, but it doesn't actually accelerate the rate of fire. This may indicate that this weapon was originally designed with an accelerating fire rate in mind, just like its counterpart, the Phantasm.
- Because of its high DPS and ammo reduction, this weapon can be extremely effective against the Moon Lord if you use Chlorophyte Bullets. This can be utilised by crafting it directly after defeating the Vortex Pillar.
- If you click fast enough to fire 1 bullet, you'll hear the sound as if you shot 2 bullets.
- To counter the low accuracy; use Chlorophyte Bullets - which home on enemies.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This weapon was formerly called the "Blackhole Beater", as seen in one of the spoilers.
- This weapon visually resembles the Onyx Blaster, but seems to use lunar energy instead of dark energy.
- This, along with the Onyx Blaster are the only firearms in the game to feature an operating secondary weapon (grenade launcher).
- After a short delay once the player stops firing, a click of the gun reloading can be heard. However, this has no effect on firing, as the player can fire a continuous stream of bullets without requiring to reload. This sound effect is reused from the Boomstick and the Shotgun.
- The gun used by the Storm Diver closely resembles the Vortex Beater.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Reduced damage from 70 to 50.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Increased Damage from 63 to 70.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()