We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: End of Week.
Wall of Flesh
Wall of Flesh
|AI Type||Wall of Flesh Body AI|
|Damage||50 / 150 (melee)|
|Max Life||8000 / 11200|
|Debuff duration||While the player is within 1800 feet (900 Blocks) from the boss.|
|Debuff tooltip||You have seen something nasty, there is no escape.|
|Debuff duration||When the player is within 1800 feet (900 Blocks) behind the boss.|
|Debuff tooltip||You are being sucked into the mouth.|
|Internal NPC ID: 113|
The Wall of Flesh is a pre-Hardmode boss, and is spawnable only in The Underworld. It is considered to be the most difficult boss before entering Hardmode. Once defeated, the world permanently converts to Hardmode.
To defeat the Wall of Flesh, the player must attack either its eyes or its mouth. They all share the same life counter, so attacking any of the three will deplete the boss' total health. Attacking the eyes causes the most damage, as they have the lowest defense. Its other parts are intangible to weapons, so attacking those will not deplete its health.
Summoning[edit | edit source]
The Wall of Flesh is summoned when a Guide Voodoo Doll is dropped into lava in The Underworld while the Guide is alive (this must be done in The Underworld; lava in any other layer will not summon the Wall of Flesh). This will kill the Guide and spawn the boss immediately. It can be done either by killing a Voodoo Demon who carries the Doll while it flies above a lava pool, or by picking up a dropped Guide Voodoo Doll and throwing it into the lava manually. On the Mobile version, you can also simply consume the doll.
If the Guide is not alive when the Guide Voodoo Doll is destroyed, the Wall of Flesh will not be summoned and the item is wasted. If you have already summoned the Wall of Flesh recently or if the Guide was killed in some other instance, make sure the Guide has respawned before attempting to summon the Wall of Flesh again. On the Desktop version and Console version, the housing menu can be used to see which NPCs are still alive. The minimap can also be used to see if the guide is present.
The Wall of Flesh's sweep direction is determined by its spawn location. Spawning it anywhere left of the center of the world will cause it to sweep from left to right, while spawning it right of center will cause it to sweep right to left. Maximum fight space can be achieved by spawning it at the extreme right or left of the world, though these areas have fewer natural structures and may require additional lava survival gear or construction.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
The Wall of Flesh is very large, occupying the entire screen vertically. Once spawned, it slowly sweeps across the map in a single direction, forcing the player to constantly move away for the duration of the fight, while also contending with the Underworld's usual hazards. It must be killed before it reaches the other end of the map, otherwise it will despawn, and all living players in The Underworld will die (with the unique death message "<PlayerName> was Licked.").
The Wall of Flesh moves faster as its health depletes. On Expert Mode, it can reach up to 50 mph while below 500 HP (as compared to the Hermes Boots at only 30 mph, Lightning Boots at 34, and the Bunny Mount at 38).
Keep this behavior in mind when preparing an arena, as the fight will take the player many screens away (unless the player is equipped with Hardmode gear). Any platform built will need to be very long (500+ tiles, even more in Expert Mode).
- The Wall of Flesh has small mouths called The Hungry, each attached by a long vein, which move towards and damage players. As the Wall of Flesh's main body takes damage, they deal more damage and become more resistant to attacks. When sufficiently damaged, they detach and fly towards players at high speed.
- In Expert mode, the Hungry respawn as long as the Wall of Flesh is alive.
- The Wall of Flesh's eyes fire lasers. As its health depletes, the lasers increase in damage and frequency.
- The Wall of Flesh "burps" Leeches from its mouth that chase players. These will always drop hearts when killed.
Immediately upon the Wall of Flesh's spawning, the player is afflicted with the Horrified debuff, which prevents them from fleeing the battle. Players that attempt to leave the Underworld or get behind the Wall of Flesh are immediately snatched by The Tongue and pulled directly into the Wall of Flesh's mouth, inflicting high damage. If the player teleports beyond the reach of the Tongue by using a Magic Mirror, Recall Potion or other form of quick transportation, the Horrified debuff kills the player immediately (with the death message, "<PlayerName> tried to escape").
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
When the Wall of Flesh is killed, it leaves its drops in a floating, fully-enclosed frame of Demonite Brick (for Corruption worlds) or Crimtane Brick (for Crimson worlds). One of the drops is always the Pwnhammer, which then becomes an essential tool moving into Hardmode.
Hardmode[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Hardmode
After defeating the Wall of Flesh for the first time, a status message displays: "The ancient spirits of light and dark have been released.", a dialogue box explaining Hardmode appears, and the world converts to Hardmode. Hardmode brings new biomes, new and tougher enemies, and new tiers of equipment.
Components[edit | edit source]
Achievements[edit | edit source]
|Still Hungry • "Defeat the Wall of Flesh, the master and core of the world who arises after a great, burning sacrifice."|
|Defeat the Wall of Flesh for the first time.|
|It's Hard! • "Unleash the ancient spirits of light and darkness across your world, enabling much stronger foes and showering the world with dazzling treasures (and rainbows!)."|
|Challenge Accepted • "You have unlocked Hard Mode!"|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Take care to avoid accidentally letting a Voodoo Demon drop its doll into lava when you're not prepared to fight, as this will also summon the Wall of Flesh. If it does get summoned while you're not prepared, you can save and quit and reopen the world to avoid the fight. This can be very helpful on Hardcore mode, although some players may consider it cheating.
- If you have problems getting the Guide to spawn, make sure there is no Event in progress. Traveling back to your world's original spawn point can reveal an ongoing event, like a Goblin Invasion, and allow you to complete it. It also must be daytime for the Guide to respawn.
- If you kill Wall of Flesh too fast, (You kill it while it hasn't entered your world yet (to the far left or far right)), the items will also drop outside the world and therefore be unable to pick up. This is most easily achieved if you have a high attack summon like the Stardust Dragon.
- If the Guide NPC is killed by lava in the Underworld, the Wall of Flesh will not be summoned.
- Attempting a summon too close to a world border may not spawn him, even if the Guide is alive.
- The Wall of Flesh is the only boss (excluding the Moon Lord and Frost Moon/Pumpkin Moon event bosses) that does not despawn based on player distance. Once summoned, it only despawns once it reaches the edge of the world, also killing the player.
- When the Wall of Flesh is alive, it is possible for the Guide NPC to respawn during the battle with the WoF. Dropping another Guide Voodoo Doll into lava will kill the Guide. However, this will not summon a second Wall of Flesh.
- The Wall of Flesh attempts to cover the entire Underworld cavern space by moving its eyes up and down; it orients by existence/absence of solid blocks and liquids 4-5 tiles above and beneath the eyes. That means making a bridge will make the eyes stay at constant height 4-7 blocks from the bridge.
- Although the Eyes and Mouth of the Wall of Flesh are immune to On Fire!, Poisoned, etc., the Hungries they are preceded by are only immune to Confused.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Mobility-enhancing items, such as Gravitation Potion, Rocket Boots/Spectre Boots and various Hooks can make traversing the Underworld much easier. Similarly, items like Obsidian Skin Potions, Lava Waders, or an Obsidian Rose can mitigate the underworld's many lava pools and other ambient hazards.
- The player can build a long wooden Platform going along the underworld quite high up so the structures, lava and mounds of ash do not get in the way.
- A Flamethrower is an extremely effective way to defeat The Hungry in Hardmode.
- Making a platform with explosion-immune blocks (such as Dungeon Bricks) and proceeding to use Dynamite can be extremely effective if the player times their throws well.
- Try not to use melee weapons if you are fighting the Wall of Flesh for the first time, because you take a sizable amount of damage from touching the Wall of Flesh or its many Hungries. If you find one however, a Dark Lance works very well with a long walkway.
- Beenades are a highly effective weapon against the Wall of Flesh, especially in Expert mode.
- The Bee's Knees is a useful weapon for extra damage, as well as the Molten Fury or Phoenix Blaster.
- A Water Bolt is an excellent weapon, because even if the player dies, the projectile will bounce, giving the possibility to kill the WoF after the player's death.
- A good pre-Hardmode weapon is the Minishark with the Hurtful Modifier. Obtaining around 270 Meteor Shots as ammunition is an effective way to kill it quickly, preferably with the Imp Staff as well.
- In the Mobile version and Console version, using a Sharanga against the Wall of Flesh is a good strategy. Shooting at the eyes deals the most damage to the Wall of Flesh because the eyes have the least defense.
- The Hellwing Bow is extremely effective, as it turns normal arrows into flying bats that can pass through enemies.
- On the Mobile and versions, utilizing Heart Arrows from the Valentine's day event as ammunition can render the boss unable to harm the player, so long as the arrows are aimed at its mouth. Note that this still allows the eyes to fire their lasers at the player.
- If the Guide isn't alive, and the Wall of Flesh was summoned, the Wall of Flesh is still lurking around your world, and you must reach it and defeat it, or wait a few minutes and try it again.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Despite being based around flesh, the Wall of Flesh does not bear much resemblance to, and was in the game long before, the Crimson.
- Because killing the Wall of Flesh creates strips of Hallow and Corruption/Crimson, if you defeat the WoF near the middle of the map, it may drop a Soul of Light or Soul of Night on death, proving that the world is in fact converted to Hardmode before the status message displays.
- One of the Cyborg's quotes is "Have you defeated the Wall of <Guide's Name>?", which is a reference to the Wall of Flesh being spawned when the player sacrifices the Guide.
- The Wall of Flesh is the only boss, besides the Moon Lord, to trigger two achievements at once.
History[edit | edit source]
- 1.3.5: Sprite updated.
- 1.2.3: Now has a chance to drop the Wall of Flesh Mask.
- 1.2: Now has a chance to drop the Wall of Flesh Trophy.
- 1.1: Introduced.