Animation of the Wasp Gun. Note how the projectiles home in on the Skeletons
and ricochet off of blocks.
The Wasp Gun is a Hardmode magic weapon which is dropped by Plantera with a
14.29*1/7 (14.29%) or 16.67*1/6 (16.67%) chance. It fires 2-6 homing wasp projectiles that ricochet off surfaces, and the wasps home in on nearby enemies and deal damage to them. It is essentially an upgraded Hardmode version of the Bee Gun. Wasps deal no knockback.
Its best modifier is Demonic or Deadly for damage output, or Mystic for mana conservation because it cannot get modifiers that affect knockback.
- Like the bees of the Bee Gun, the wasps will dissipate upon contact with water and lava, but not honey.
- The wasps are not affected by the Hive Pack in any way. This is because they are wasps, and the Hive Pack only affects bees.
- It may not be very effective against Hardmode enemies due to the low per-wasp damage and high enemy defense, even though the gun is dropped by Plantera. This can be especially apparent when attempting to trigger the Spectre armor set bonus, which requires a minimum of 5 damage per hit to activate.
- Because of that (and the fact that the wasps pierce, triggering enemy invincibility) it is more useful to not spawn too many of them and switch to a different weapon after casting some.
- The Wasp Gun is highly effective for farming money with the Lucky Coin during events. The low per-hit damage results in a larger number of hits, netting more money overall.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11:
- Item and projectile sprites updated.
- Damage increased from 21 to 31.
- Use Time increased from 11 to 18.
- Wasps can now bounce/pierce only 3 times instead of 4.
- Reduced wasps per cast to an average of 3.
- Mana cost increased from 6 to 10.