Water is an abundant liquid. It is found in nearly any biome in pools of various sizes, and forms the large Oceans on either side of a map. It is less abundant in Deserts, and absent in The Underworld (where it disappears if made to flow there). Water flows more freely than Lava and Honey. Each biome has its own unique water color (these colors can be changed, with the Water Fountains sold by the Witch Doctor once he spawns in your world , or after Plantera is defeated ). Water is only found above a certain depth, beneath which Lava pools tend to appear instead.
Upon submersion, a player's breath meter will display, indicating their remaining breathing time before drowning damage will be incurred. The point where a player is considered submerged for purposes of the breath meter is one pixel above the eyes.
If the player's feet are in at least one tile of water, movement is hindered noticeably. Certain accessories or potions can boost player movement through liquids, enable swimming, or even allow walking along its surface. Players cannot swim by default.
A body of water will also break the player's fall upon impact and negate any fall damage. However, if the player has any water walking buff active or any water walking accessory equipped, impact with the water surface will incur fall damage as normal.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
|The water crafting station icon.|
Like Lava and Honey, water can be used as a minor crafting station. It works just like those two; in order to use it the player only has to stand nearby. Creation of items from a body of water does not lower the water level at all. A sink may be used in place of a water fluid tile, and similarly offers unlimited water to recipes.
Used to craft[edit | edit source]
Water can also be used to make the following items, though not as a crafting station:
|Item||When combined with|
Contents[edit | edit source]
| Normal Enemies:
In the Ocean:
| During a Blood Moon:
| From Goldfish:
From Sea Snails:
From Green Jellyfish:
Items interacting with water[edit | edit source]
- Flippers allow the player to swim upward by jumping repeatedly from any point within the water.
- Gills Potion allows the player to breathe underwater.
- Breathing Reed allows the player to breathe while in shallow water and also increases the breath meter.
- Diving Helmet increases the breath meter.
- Diving Gear increases breath meter and allows swimming.
- Neptune's Shell allows the player to breathe underwater and allows swimming.
- Water Walking Potion, Lava Waders, Obsidian Water Walking Boots and Water Walking Boots allow the player to walk on the surface of water.
- Pumps and Buckets can move water.
- Flipper Potion and Fishron Wings allow the player to move at normal speed in water.
- Jellyfish Necklace, Jellyfish Diving Gear, and Arctic Diving Gear emit light when in water.
- Fishing Poles allow the player to fish in water.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Underground pools of water may sometimes be spotted via the glowing Jellyfish that spawn there.
- The game occasionally has difficulty leveling out large volumes of liquid that flowed into a new space. Exiting and reloading the world, or relocating the liquid elsewhere, can sometimes remedy the problem.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.4: Water is now dynamic and has a setting to be more or less dynamic.
- Desktop 1.2.3:
- Desktop 1.2:
- When water touches a half block, it will create a waterfall. Water can also change colors depending what biome it is in, or if it's a Blood Moon.
- Desktop 1.1: Water is in a secondary 'layer' behind the placed blocks, therefore can no longer be removed by placing blocks on it. "Blocked" liquids disappear only after restart of world.
- Desktop 1.0.5:
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.
| Liquids |
|Liquids: Water • Lava • Honey|
|Liquid Blocks: Waterfall Block • Lavafall Block • Honeyfall Block|
|Liquid Block Walls: Waterfall Wall • Lavafall Wall • Honeyfall Wall|
|Items Made Near Water: Bottled Water • Mud Block • Water Candle ( ) • Magic Water Dropper|
|Items Made Near Lava: Magic Lava Dropper|
|Items Made Near Honey: Bottled Honey • Honey Block () • Magic Honey Dropper|
|Combinations: Obsidian ( Water + Lava) • Honey Block ( Water + Honey) • Crispy Honey Block ( Lava + Honey)|