|Damage||19 / 17 (Magic)|
|Use time||17 (Very fast)|
|Tooltip||Casts a slow moving bolt of water|
- Water Bolt
The Water Bolt is a pre-Hardmode magic weapon that auto-fires a slow blue ricocheting water-ball that travels in straight lines, emits a dim light, is unaffected by gravity, and pierces multiple enemies. The projectile can last up to 30 seconds, but it will dissipate when it ricochets 5 times or damages 10 enemies. The Water Bolt is uniquely found only in the Dungeon, hidden as one of the many books on the shelves. It cannot be crafted, purchased, found in chests, or obtained in other ways.
Its best modifier is Mythical.
Location[edit | edit source]
Multiple Water Bolts are hidden amongst the books on shelves of most Dungeons. Despite its red appearance in an inventory slot, the Water Bolt is always the blue book with a yellow band on it when on shelves. Since a careful visual inspection is not always practical in the Dungeon due to frequent enemy attacks, any of the following methods can also be used to locate the Water Bolt:
- Hover the cursor over all books on the shelves of the Dungeon. When located, the Water Bolt shows as a tooltip beside the cursor. No other books show a tooltip.
- Right-click on all books seen. The only book that will drop from a right-click is the Water Bolt, as regular books require a pickaxe to free them (though the pickaxe will also free the Water Bolt).
- Use a pickaxe to free and pick up all books seen. It is possible to spawn a dungeon without Water Bolt, especially in small sized worlds.
Tooltips will not show, nor will right-clicks cause the Water Bolt to drop, if the player is standing too far away. The proximity required is the same as for looking inside chests or speaking to NPCs.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- When the projectile finally dissipates, the glowing embers it releases will fall through solid blocks and momentarily illuminate the area below.
- Once it is taken from a shelf, it can not be placed again whatsoever.
- Ironically, the projectile does not disappear in lava.
- Water Bolts don't always generate in a world, though the chances of at least one generating are very high. This is because around the finalization of Dungeon generation, the logic attempts to add platforms in suitable locations. After the platforms are generated, there's a 50% chance for each platform to have a Book placed upon it with an additional 2% chance to make the book a Water Bolt instead. Very rarely will there ever be a world that does not have a Water Bolt, but it is possible and worth noting.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- On Console, Old-gen console, Mobile, and versions, it is not explicitly required to defeat Skeletron to obtain a Water Bolt, as platforms with books can spawn above level 0, sometimes even in the room just past the door into the Dungeon. These can be safely retrieved without causing either Dungeon Guardians or unique Dungeon enemies to spawn. As the Water Bolt remains a powerful weapon up until Hardmode, it can be advantageous to check the Dungeon when starting a new world.
- Of course, this does not mean Water Bolts will always spawn above Dungeon Guardians, take caution.
- The durability of the Water Bolt projectile, combined with its ability to ricochet and hit multiple foes, makes it very suitable for fighting groups of enemies, especially in flat valleys and straight passageways. It also has a low enough velocity for it to hit the same enemy more than once even without ricocheting.
- Because of their long range and ricochet, Water Bolt projectiles can be used to detect Floating Islands by firing upwards and waiting for the projectile to bounce off and return. Their low speed makes this tedious, however. A faster alternative is the Meteor Shot.
- The Water Bolt combined with properly closed arena is very effective way to fight many pre-Hardmode bosses. For example: fighting Eater of Worlds or Brain of Cthulhu gets easy, because a single Water Bolt projectile can hit multiple parts multiple times. Same goes for other bosses, although more arena optimization is needed.
- The Water Bolt can be used to clear and illuminate areas while exploring, such as the pre-Hardmode Spider Caves, easily and safely.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In pre-release footage of the game, both the placed and held Water Bolt sprites were blue. The held Water Bolt sprites were later changed to red, without altering the placed Water Bolt's coloration.
- Some Bookcase sprites contain Water Bolt, but cannot be looted from.
- During a Blood Moon, the projectile fired will change to a pink, slight red color.
- The Water Bolt is one of the very few weapons that are placed in the world and must be broken to acquire. The only other weapons to share this are the Enchanted Sword and the Terragrim / Arkhalis
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Can now only spawn below Surface.
- Desktop 1.3.1: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Damage increased from 17 to 19.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Projectile sprite changed.
- Base mana cost reduced from 14 to 10.
- Light effect changed.
- Desktop 1.1: Sell price added.
- Desktop 1.0.6:
- Makes a new sound when used.
- Damage increased from 15 to 17.
- Mana to cast reduced from 20 to 14.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.