- Internal Item ID: 530
Always buy more wire than you need!
Wire is a unique item used to connect mechanisms. Generally a mechanism is connected to a triggering item, like a Pressure Plate, Timer, Switch or Lever. Wires are placed using Wrenches, and are retrieved using the Wire Cutter, both of which can only be obtained from the Mechanic. Wire placed by different colored wrenches will be of different colors, which allows independent wire paths to overlap without interfering with each other.
Wire itself is available for purchase from the Mechanic for 5 each, but can also be obtained from naturally-occurring mechanisms, which exist sparsely Underground, and frequently in the Dungeon and Jungle Temple Traps and Chain Lantern/Switch arrangements.
Placed Wires only display on-screen when a Mechanism-related item is held by the player, such as a Pressure Plate or Wrench. Wires occupy their own dedicated layer when placed, and so can occupy the same tile space as Furniture, Walls, Blocks, and even deep Lava pools, along with any other object. Wires can be placed in midair, without the need for support. Explosions have no effect on placed Wires.
The player's Wire placing and cutting reach is roughly 25 tiles horizontally and vertically.
Wires are considered "connected" to triggers and mechanisms when they are placed in the same tile space as those items (when they appear to be "touching"). An exception is Statues, which are considered connected to any wires in their 2x3 tile space, even though some statues do not appear to reach a 3-tile height (see adjacent image).
Wire is considered "ammunition" for wrenches, and can therefore be placed in the Ammo slots of a player's inventory.
|Removes placed Wire.|
|Toggles Actuators on and off.|
|Places red wire.|
|Places green wire.|
|Places blue wire.|
|Places yellow wire.|
|Places and removes any color wire.|
|"Allows ultimate control over wires".|
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Achievement[edit | edit source]
|Engineer • "You have placed 100 wires!"|
|Place 100 wires.|
See also[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.1: Now used to craft The Grand Design, Actuation Rod, Announcement Box, Trapped Chests, Sensors and Weighted Pressure Plates.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.2.4:
- Fixed a bug where only one wire attached to a Lever would work when you flipped it.
- Fixed bug where close dropped wires wouldn't merge with each other.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Wire length-limit removed.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Stack limit was raised from 250 to 999.
- Wire length-limit increased from 1000 to 2000.
- Different colors of wire can be lain with different colored wrenches.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console 1.08:
- Wire length-limit removed.
- Dropped wires now stack themselves.
- Levers can now power multiple wires.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.