- Internal NPC ID: 108
The Wizard is a Hardmode NPC vendor who sells magic-related items. As soon as the Wall of Flesh has been defeated, he rarely spawns in the cavern layer or below. Similar to the Goblin Tinkerer, Mechanic, and Stylist, he first spawns as the stationary Bound Wizard. Talking to him will free him, after which he will respawn as long as a vacant house is available, even if killed.
The Bound Wizard is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer .
Items sold[edit | edit source]
Names[edit | edit source]
The Wizard may have any of the following names:
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Dungeon contains a large number of open areas that may provide the most frequent opportunities for the Wizard to spawn. Until defeating Plantera, no new Hardmode enemies spawn there, making it a safe and quick place to search for him.
- A Hunter Potion can be used to locate the Wizard.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
If the character is male:
- "Well, hi there, [Name of Guide]! What can I do for you today?"
- "Well, hi there, [Name of Demolitionist]! What can I do for you today?"
- "Well, hi there, [Name of Goblin Tinkerer]! What can I do for you today?"
If the character is female:
- "Well, hi there, [Name of Nurse]! What can I do for you today?"
- "Well, hi there, [Name of Mechanic]! What can I do for you today?"
- "Well, hi there, [Name of Dryad]! What can I do for you today?"
- "Want me to pull a coin from behind your ear? No? Ok."
- "Do you want some magic candy? No? Ok."
- "I make a rather enchanting hot chocolate if you'd be inter...No? Ok."
- "Are you here for a peek at my crystal ball?"
- "Ever wanted an enchanted ring that turns rocks into slimes? Well neither did I."
- "Someone once told me friendship is magic. That's ridiculous. You can't turn people into frogs with friendship."
- "I can see your future now... You will buy a lot of items from me!"
- "I once tried to bring an Angel Statue to life. It didn't do anything."
- "Ohh, my hero!"
- "Oh, how heroic! Thank you for saving me, young lady!" (if the character is female)
- "Oh, how heroic! Thank you for saving me, young man!" (if the character is male)
- "Now that we know each other, I can move in with you, right?"
- "Thanks for saving me, friend! This bondage was starting to chafe."
During a Party :
- "Clearly I throw the most magical of parties."
After defeating Tier 1 of the Old One's Army :
- "You know, I think I've seen a portal like that before, but it was gold."
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Wizard may be slightly senile or have prosopagnosia, as he confuses the player with NPCs of the same gender that have moved in.
- Most of the Wizard's names refer to wizards from popular culture:
- Gwentor may be a reference to Gwent The Witcher Card Game, a spin-off card game from The Witcher 3,
- Merlin from the Matter of Britain,
- Michael Moorcock's fictional character Elric of Melniboné,
- Ningauble from the adventures of the two sword-and-sorcery heroes Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, and
- Leomund, Fizban, Magius, and Dalamar from the Dungeons & Dragons settings Greyhawk and Dragonlance.
- The name Sargon may be a reference to Sargon of Akkad, first ruler of the Akkadian Empire king, or to Sargon the Sorcerer, a fictional mystic, superhero and sorcerer appearing in DC Comics publications.
- The name Xanadu is a reference to Shangdu, the capital of Kublai Khan's Yuan dynasty in Ancient China, which is also known as "Xanadu".
- Many of the rest, including Hirael, Maelor, Arwyn, and possibly Berwyn, refer to elves created by English author and scholar J. R. R. Tolkien, mostly from the collection of mythopoeic works The Silmarillion and the epic high fantasy novel The Lord of the Rings.
- The quote "Ever wanted an enchanted ring that turns rocks into slimes? Well neither did I." is a reference to the first mod in Terraria which allowed turning blocks into enemies.
- The quote "Someone once told me friendship is magic. [...]" is a reference to the Canadian-American children's animated fantasy television series My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.
- The quote "I once tried to bring an Angel Statue to life. It didn't do anything." is a continuation of a running in-game joke about how the Angel Statue is utterly useless.
- The quote "Are you here for a peek at my crystal ball?" refers to the Wizard selling a Crystal Ball. A crystal ball is furthermore very commonly associated with sorcery and clairvoyance.
- The quote "You know, I think I've seen a portal like that before, but it was gold." is most likely a reference to Coin Portals .
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- Now sells Empty Dropper.
- Price of Ice Rod reduced from 1 to 50 .
- Desktop 1.1.1: Now can be untied with Autopause enabled.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Applied changes from PS4’s 1.0.750.0 update. ()
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.1.5536: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.