- Internal NPC ID: 108
The Wizard is a Hardmode NPC that sells magic-related items. The Wizard can be acquired via open areas underground during Hardmode. He can be found at the cavern layer or lower, where he spawns rarely and appears to be bound, much like the Stylist, Goblin Tinkerer and Mechanic. Talking to him will free him, after which he will respawn as long as a vacant house is available, even if killed.
When enemies are in his vicinity, the Wizard hurls fireballs at them in a similar fashion to the Flower of Fire.
Items sold[edit | edit source]
Names[edit | edit source]
The Wizard may have any of the following names:
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Dungeon contains a large number of open areas that may provide the most frequent opportunities for the Wizard to spawn, and it continues to use weak (for hardmode) pre-hardmode enemies until you defeat Plantera. This makes it a safe and quick place to search for him.
- The Bound Wizard shows up on the Lifeform Analyzer.
- A Hunter Potion can be used to find the Wizard.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Well, hi there, [name of another NPC same gender as the player]! What can I do for you today?"
- "Want me to pull a coin from behind your ear? No? Ok."
- "I make a rather enchanting hot chocolate if you'd be inter... No? Ok."
- "Do you want some magic candy? No? Ok."(might be a reference to the book, The Candy Shop War or Harry Potter)
- "Ever wanted an enchanted ring that turns rocks into slimes? Well neither did I." (reference to the first mod in Terraria where you could get a ring which turns blocks into monsters)
- "Someone once told me friendship is magic. That's ridiculous. You can't turn people into frogs with friendship." (a reference to the popular TV show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
- "I once tried to bring an Angel Statue to life. It didn't do anything." (a continuation of a running in-game joke about how the Angel Statue is utterly useless, and possibly a reference to weeping angels in Doctor Who.)
- "Are you here for a peek at my crystal ball?"
- "I can see your future now... You will buy a lot of items from me!"
- "Ohh, my hero!"
- "Oh, how heroic! Thank you for saving me, young (man/lady)!"
- "Now that we know each other, I can move in with you, right?" (possibly a reference to the behavior of NPCs moving in when you had just met them.)
- "Thanks for saving me, friend! This bondage was starting to chafe."
During a party
- "Clearly I throw the most magical of parties."
After defeating Tier 1 of the Old One's Army:
- "You know, I think I've seen a portal like that before, but it was gold." (Might be a reference to the Old One's Army's portals or Coin Portal)
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- He may be slightly senile or he has prosopagnosia, as he confuses the player with NPCs of the same gender that have moved in.
- Most of the Wizard's names refer to wizards from popular culture: Merlin from the Matter of Britain, Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melniboné, Ningauble from the adventures of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, Leomund, Fizban, Magius, and Dalamar from Dungeons & Dragons settings Greyhawk and Dragonlance. The name Sargon may be a reference to Sargon, an ancient Akkadian king, or to the DC Comics character Sargon the Sorcerer. Many of the rest refer to elves from the Silmarillion and The Lord of the Rings including Hirael, Maelor, Arwyn, and possibly Berwyn.
- The fireballs hurled from the wizard look similar to the projectiles produced by the Flower of Fire.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11:
- Now sells Empty Dropper.
- Price of Ice Rod reduced from 1 to 50 .
- Desktop 1.1.1: Now can be untied with Autopause enabled.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Made changes from PS4’s 1.0.750.0 update. ()
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.1.5536: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.