The Wolf is a Hardmode enemy that sometimes spawns in the Snow biome at night. It has the same AI as the Unicorn, which charges and rams into the player. Like Unicorns, Wolves move at very fast speeds and can jump fairly high, making them one of the hardest enemies to evade. Due to its relatively high defense and health, it is not recommended for early Hardmode players to fight these animals. If the player does happen to come across them, it is difficult to outrun them, even with Hermes-type boots.
- Since these enemies spawn on the surface, weapons that rain projectiles such as the Daedalus Stormbow can hit them without being stopped by blocks above.
- The player may dig a small hole in the ground just wide enough to stand in and attack Wolves from there, since they will be too wide to fit.
- Standing on any block/platform 8 tiles high prevents Wolves from reaching the player, allowing the player to shoot them without having to dodge them.
- Melee users may find yoyos useful, particularly the Amarok, which drops from any enemy in a Snow biome and can inflict the Frostburn debuff. Hel-Fire works as well, if the player has been in the Caverns or Underworld. One may stand in/on the aforementioned hole/platform and safely set Wolves alight.
- Another viable strategy would be to build a large platform at least 15 tiles above the Snow biome; Wolves and other Hardmode Snow biome enemies will spawn on top of the platform, and assuming the player has bought the Dusty Rawhide Saddle, Royal Gilded Saddle, or the Black Studded Saddle they can easily outrun them whilst dealing damage and use any ranged weapon to take them down.
- Its old sprite from before 1.4 seems to have a tiny bit of blood around its mouth.
- Both the Unicorn and the Wolf have a turning animation, before they begin to run and charge again.
- The Bestiary entry for the Wolf: "Living in the harshest of climates, these savage lupines hunt in the dark of night desperately for sustenance."