There are currently 9 different types of wood. Crafting recipes that include ordinary Wood as an ingredient can use any type except Dynasty Wood. Some resulting items may differ in appearance depending on Wood type used, while providing exactly the same use.
Types of Wood[edit | edit source]
There are nine types as follows:
- Forest , from trees in the
- Jungle from trees in the
- the Corruption from trees in
- the Crimson from trees in
- Hallow from trees in the
- Snow Biome from trees in the
- Ocean Biome from trees in the
- Traveling Merchant is purchased from the
- Splinterlings and Mourning Wood during the Pumpkin Moon event is dropped by
Each type of Wood has a respective:
, while only loosely defined as a wood, can be used to craft some wooden furniture (specifically pine wood). It however cannot be used for recipes that require "any wood".
is another block which displays some wood-like properties, especially in the sense that it is gathered from background plants cut with an axe. Again, cactus cannot be used in recipes calling "any wood", however, it does have recipes for furniture, tools and weapons much like those of normal wood.
Some Wood types are found placed in other forms. For example, Underground Cabins generally use wood corresponding to their biome (i.e. Rich Mahogany in the Jungle, Boreal in the Snow Biome, normal Wood basically everywhere else). Living Trees and Living Mahogany Trees are made of Living Wood and Rich Mahogany, respectively.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Generally being available in large quantities at the surface near a player's spawn and having an aesthetic appearance, many players choose to use Wood as the material their first house is built from. Stone is another common beginning material, being easily obtained in large quantities just below the surface.
- Wood armor sets are of the few that can be crafted at a Work Bench, along with Pumpkin, Necro, Pink Eskimo and Cactus.
- The average amount of normal wood found in a large world is 6 & 1/2 stacks.
- While the trees are affected by biomes, the wood they drop is completely immune to them.
- As wood cannot be sold on its own, the best way to sell wood is to craft it into kegs as this will yield the most amount of money per unit wood. (8.571428 continuing or 60/7, copper per unit. Or approximately 85 silver and 63 copper per stack)
Farming[edit | edit source]
- See also: Guide:Gardening.
One method to farm wood with minimum effort is to place Mud and plant a long stretch of jungle grass in a convenient location. Jungle trees will grow automatically without further maintenance, unlike normal trees, which require Acorns. However, keep in mind that the Jungle this creates can spawn Jungle enemies such as Jungle Slime and Jungle Bat, which can be dangerous or annoying, depending on your defensive equipment. Breakable flowers and bushes will very quickly grow, though, which may render this old method of easy wood almost useless.
Another effective way to collect wood is to create a new World and cut down the trees generated within it, then delete the world once its easily-accessible natural resources are exhausted.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipe (normal Wood)[edit | edit source]
Used in (normal Wood)[edit | edit source]
Used in (any Wood)[edit | edit source]
|) / 5 ( ))(25 (|
|) / 30 ( ))(50 (|
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Used in more recipes.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.
| Wood |
| Blocks ( Bricks) • Walls ( Brick Walls) Tiles: |