The World Seed feature enables the display of the random seed used to generate a Terraria world, and allows the player to input a custom seed manually when creating a new world.
Worlds generated prior to 1.3.4 will never have a viewable seed; while they were generated with a random seed, that information was only used during world creation, and was not stored in the world file.
Worlds created after 126.96.36.199 will always be able to have their seeds edited upon world creation, regardless of the experimental feature setting.
If a seed is not entered manually during world creation, a seed is automatically generated randomly.
Copying seeds from created worlds[edit | edit source]
Worlds with a seed display a small seed icon in the world list, allowing the player to see that world's seed and copy it to their computer's clipboard ( only). A copied seed can then be input when creating a new world, which results in a nearly identical generated world, provided it is created with identical parameters (same size, same choice between Corruption and Crimson, and same choice of difficulty).
World seeds are formatted like this:
- 1, if World size is Small.
- 2, if World size is Medium.
- 3, if World size is Large.
- 1, if World Difficulty is Classic.
- 2, if World Difficulty is Expert.
- 3, if World Difficulty is Master.
- 4, if World Difficulty is Journey.
Identifier: The actual unique random seed.
This formatting can be used to automatically set all the initial settings of a world to be as desired.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Copy Seed feature is no longer experimental.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- Officially implemented in the game.
- Made the world seed also contain the info on the initial settings of a world.
- Fixed an issue where different operating systems would see slightly different world seed results.
- Desktop 1.3.5: Fixed auto-creating a world from the server causing it to always use the same seed.
- Desktop 1.3.4: Introduced.
- Mobile 220.127.116.11.0: Introduced with changes from Desktop 1.3.5 to Desktop 18.104.22.168.