- This article is about the critter. For worm-type enemies, see Worm AI.
The Worm is a Critter that spawns underground, or on the surface during rain. Worms also have a chance to spawn on the surface when the player breaks stone or dirt piles, or grass, which causes them to fly out. Breaking larger rocks in the background has a high possibility of releasing worms.
They can be caught with a Bug Net and used as Bait for Fishing, and have 25% bait power. Like most Critters, they can also be released or crafted into a Worm Cage to be used as furniture.
Worms (and their golden counterparts) will become stuck in 1-tile holes in the ground, which can allow for easy collection during rains. However this only works if both tiles adjacent to the worm are not hammered inclines.
Desktop version and Console version[edit | edit source]
- On the surface, Worms have a 1/400 (0.25%) chance of dropping from short grass, 1/200 (0.5%) chance from tall grass, and 1/6 chance (16.7%) chance from dirt piles. These values are taken from the game code.
- In-game testing seems to demonstrate a general drop rate from any ambient surface grass or plant type (short, tall, pink flower, blue flower, sprite with 1 piece of grass, sprite with 2, etc.) as 4.6%, regardless of time of day.
- Worms will only spawn while it's raining on grass covered dirt blocks where the rain animation can reach the grass (that is, putting a roof/ceiling over the grass will prevent worms from spawning).
- Desktop 1.2.4: Can now be used as Bait. Worms now spawn when breaking rock and dirt piles.