- Not to be confused with Etherian Wyvern.
Wyverns are large Hardmode enemies that spawn at high altitudes. They resemble oriental dragons, are long and white, and follow the Worm AI. They are immune to the Poisoned, On Fire!, Cursed Inferno, Venom, Shadowflame, and Confused debuffs. Arch Wyverns are the bronze-colored Old-gen console, Mobile, and exclusive variants.
Wyverns spawn at any lateral map location, day or night, but generally at Floating Island altitudes. They will follow descending players down to ground level, and can fly through blocks, but tend not to fly below ground unless they are Arch Wyverns. They won't spawn if one is already alive, and like most enemies able to pass through tiles, they won't be able to spawn if the player themselves stays in front of player-placed walls, even if there are valid spawn points for the Wyvern. Outside of Crimson, Corruption, and Dungeon biomes, and except during events, having at least one NPC near the player will also prevent them from spawning.
|Map Size||Expected Depth|
|Small||360+ feet above|
|Medium||640+ feet above|
|Large||850+ feet above|
Segments[edit | edit source]
Wyvern[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- It is possible to kill a Wyvern while its head is off the map, which can result in the loss of its drops.
- Wyverns are a total of 14 segments long. The first segment is the head, the second and seventh are the legs, the third through sixth and eighth through eleventh are body segments, and the last three are the tail segments.
Tips[edit | edit source]
For more strategies on defeating Wyverns, see Guide:Harvesting Souls.
- Killing Wyverns can be hard for new Hardmode players, so its recommended to stay away from them until better Armor and Weapons can be obtained.
- As with any multi-segmented enemy, piercing and explosive weapons can strike multiple segments at once, dealing several times their normal damage.
- Using a Cobalt Repeater/Palladium Repeater with Jester's Arrows is a good way to kill the Wyvern.
- The Golden Shower can be very effective against them.
- Another useful item for killing Wyverns and other enemies with the worm AI is the Nimbus Rod, as when it goes by, it will be rained on. Also, the Nimbus Rod is quick and easy to get near the beginning of Hardmode.
- Using the Shadowflame Knife may be useful, as it does significant damage and its bouncing ability allows it to hit multiple segments of the Wyvern.
- Dodging a Wyvern is crucial, as it is capable of inflicting significant damage.
- The head of a Wyvern has lower defense than its tail or body segments, making it more vulnerable to damage as it charges the player. However, the head also deals twice the damage as the rest of the body on contact, making it risky to face a Wyvern head on.
- It is easier to fight a Wyvern in Space, as the low gravity helps to dodge its attacks.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Although the name "Wyvern" refers to a type of western dragon depicted as having two wings and two hind legs, but no arms or forelegs, Terrarian Wyverns are shaped after Chinese dragons in Chinese folklore.
- The Angler mentions in a quest that Wyverns are born and raised as tadpoles called .
- Wyverns take knockback, while Arch Wyverns do not.
- The Wyvern strongly resembles Haku's dragon form from the Studio Ghibli movie Spirited Away (image).
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.1.1: Wyverns are less common and are less likely to spawn near the ground.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Arch Wyvern's sprite updated. The old sprite was:
- Console-Release: Introduced along with console exclusive Arch Wyvern.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced and added exclusive Arch Wyvern.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.