Wyverns are large Hardmode enemies that spawn at high altitudes. They resemble oriental dragons, are long and white, and follow the Worm AI. They are immune to the Poisoned, On Fire!, Cursed Inferno, Venom, Shadowflame, and Confused debuffs.
Wyverns spawn at any lateral map location, day or night, but generally at Floating Island altitudes. They will follow descending players down to ground level, and can fly through blocks, but tend not to fly below ground unless they are Arch Wyverns. They won't spawn if one is already alive, and like most enemies able to pass through tiles, they won't be able to spawn if the player themself stays in front of player-placed walls, even if there are valid spawn points for the Wyvern. Outside of Crimson, Corruption, and Dungeon biomes, and except during events, having at least one NPC near the player will also prevent them from spawning.
| Map Size
|| Expected Depth
||360+ feet above
||640+ feet above
||850+ feet above
- It is possible to kill the Wyvern while its head is off the map, which can result in the loss of its drops.
- If you teleport away from the Wyvern using the Magic Mirror, the Ice Mirror, Teleportation Potion, or a Recall Potion, it will not despawn, and instead follow you back to your spawn and continue attacking.
- Killing Wyverns can be hard for new hardmode players, so its recommended to stay away from them until you have preferable armor and weapons.
- Wyverns are a total of 14 segments long. The first segment is the head, the second and seventh are the legs, the third through sixth and eight through eleventh are body segments, and the last three are the tail segments.
For more strategies on defeating Wyverns, see Guide:Harvesting Souls.
- As with any multi-segmented enemy, piercing and explosive weapons can strike multiple segments at once, dealing several times their normal damage than non-piercing weapons.
- Outrunning a Wyvern on foot is only possible over Asphalt Blocks.
- The head of a Wyvern has lower defense than its tail or body segments, making it more vulnerable to damage as it charges the player. However, the head also deals twice the damage as the rest of the body on contact, making it risky to face a Wyvern head on.
- It is easier to fight a Wyvern in space, as the low gravity helps you to dodge its attacks.
- The Nimbus Rod is useful, as is the Shield of Cthulhu's dash, for dodging.
- A long Minecart Track makes killing Wyverns very simple, even in Expert mode.
- Using the Shadowflame Knife may be useful, as it does significant damage and its bouncing ability allows it to hit multiple segments of the Wyvern.
- The Paladin's Hammer could work as a high damage weapon with the right modifier along with any On Fire! debuff weapon like the Fire Gauntlet or the Frost armor with its Frostburn.
- Using a Cobalt Repeater/Palladium Repeater with Jester's Arrows is a good way to kill the Wyvern.
- The Golden Shower can be very effective against them as the arc can damage multiple segments of their body, killing them very quickly.
- Although the name "Wyvern" refers to a western dragon-like creature depicted as having two wings and two hind legs, but no arms or forelegs, Terrarian Wyverns are shaped after Chinese dragons in Chinese folklore.
- The Angler mentions in a quest that Wyverns are born and raised as tadpoles called Wyverntails.
- Wyverns take knockback, while Arch Wyverns do not.
- The normal Wyvern resembles Haku's dragon form from the Studio Ghibli movie Spirited Away (image).
- Desktop 1.1.1: Wyverns are less common and are less likely to spawn near the ground.
- Console 1.02: Arch Wyvern's sprite updated. The old sprite was: