Yoyos are Flail-like melee weapons that can be thrown and seek after the player's cursor when used. Once deployed, a yoyo will stay in the air for up to a certain maximum flight time which varies per yoyo. Unlike Flails, yoyos are easier to control but they bounce off of enemies on impact. Yoyos can be acquired in several different ways, including from crafting, as rare drops from enemies, and as merchandise from certain NPCs. There are currently 20 different types of yoyos.
All yoyos deal 25% less damage if at least one solid block is between the yoyo and its user. Checking if the string overlaps any blocks is a good way to tell if the yoyo's damage is reduced. The remaining flight time of a yoyo is decreased by 1/3 of a second every time it strikes an enemy. Flight time is decreased by a full second instead of only 1/3 if the yoyo has its damage reduced by being out of line of sight.
There are several accessories that affect the function of yoyos. String can be equipped to increase the range, a Counterweight can be equipped to release a second damaging projectile after hitting an enemy with the yoyo, and the Yoyo Glove allows the use of two yoyos. These three accessories can then be crafted into the Yoyo Bag, which combines the effects of all of them.
Yoyo range is determined by melee attack speed. However, yoyos cannot have their speed modified, and therefore cannot obtain the Legendary modifier. A Godly modifier has slightly better crowd control than a Demonic one, but the increased knockback may reduce the number of hits per second. Both modifiers can be regarded as the best.
Types[edit | edit source]
|Knockback||Critical Chance||Source||One Drop
|9||Fast||9||4||Very Weak||4%||10 @+ 20|
|14||Fast||10||5||Weak||4%||Dropped randomly by 3 special Cavern enemies (Crawdad, Giant Shelly, and Salamander).|
|20||Fast||13||8||Weak||4%||1 @+ 2 + 3 + 8|
|21||Fast||13.5||9||Weak||4%||Traveling Merchant after killing Eye of Cthulhu.|
|22||Fast||14||11||Weak||4%||The Dungeon's locked Gold Chests.|
|27||Fast||15.5||16||Average||4%||1/400 drop chance by Underworld enemies after Skeletron is defeated, but only before Hardmode.||Inflicts On Fire! debuff|
|29||Fast||16||8||Weak||4%||Skeleton Merchant in Hardmode.|
|34||Fast||15.5||10||Weak||4%||Skeleton Merchant in Hardmode.|
|39||Fast||17||16||Weak||4%||1 @+ 15 + 10|
|41||Fast||17||12||Average||4%||1/400 drop from Cavern and Underworld enemies in Hardmode||Inflicts On Fire! debuff|
|43||Fast||16.5||15||Very weak||4%||Dropped randomly by Snow Biome enemies in Hardmode||Inflicts Frostburn debuff|
|Weak||4%||Traveling Merchant after killing any Mechanical Boss.|
|60||Fast||18||14||Weak||4%||Dropped randomly by any enemy in the Hardmode Jungle after defeating any Mechanical Boss.|
|Average||4%||Expert mode Treasure Bags as part of the Red's clothes equipment set.|
|Average||4%||Expert mode Treasure Bags as part of the Lazure's clothes equipment set.|
|Average||4%||Rare drop from post-Plantera, Hardmode Dungeon enemies.|
|Weak||4%||Dropped randomly by Mothron after Plantera has been defeated.|
|Strong||14%||11.11% (1/9) chance drop from Moon Lord.||Emits damaging and auto-aiming projectiles|
Achievements[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- If you attack the back of an enemy, it will cause the enemy to bounce back into the yo-yo, effectively making the yo-yo attack quicker.
- If used with a Yoyo Bag, the Terrarian is the most powerful melee weapon in the game in terms of damage per second.
- If you must attack a group with a yo-yo, attack by putting the yo-yo in the middle of the group, as the yo-yo will bounce between the members of the group. When they inevitably split apart, attack the front again to bunch them up.
- When the Wall of Flesh is defeated, before you teleport home, farm for the Hel-Fire as it is a great early hardmode weapon.
- If you are using a Yoyo when activating a teleporter, the yoyo will maintain its position and return to the player after a brief time.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Yoyos that are marked with the logo of One Drop YoYos in the tooltip have real life counterparts.
- In real life, Redigit is a yoyo enthusiast and makes personal use of One Drop YoYos. In addition to their designs being introduced to Terraria, One Drop has recently released a real world counterpart to the Terrarian (homing projectiles not included).
- All yoyos have the same use time of 24 (fast) with the exception of the Terrarian, which has a use time of 25.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Red's Throw & Valkyrie Yoyo are now both obtained from Red's and Lazure's developer sets, and their stats have been rebalanced.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
References[edit | edit source]