|Dimensions||1 wide × 3 high|
|Use time||14 Very Fast|
|Buff tooltip||Increased damage and defense from the following: [enemy name(s)]|
- This article is about functional enemy-dropped Banners. For decorative Banners, see Banners (decorative).
On the Desktop version and Console version, when placed, enemy Banners provide a buff to players within a 50-tile radius. The buff grants players +50%/+100% damage inflicted with all weapons to the corresponding enemy and -25%/-50% damage taken from melee attacks by the enemy.
Multiple Banners of the same type will not grant stacked buffs. Multiple different Banner types in the vicinity will however all take effect, and consolidate into a single buff icon.
- On the Desktop version and Console version, an enemy Banner automatically appears in the player's inventory on every 50th kill of that enemy in a particular world. If the player's inventory is full, the Banner will be dropped by the player instead.
- On the Old-gen console version, Mobile version, and , any enemy Banner has a 1/200 (0.5%) chance of dropping from its corresponding enemy. version
- Banners dropped by enemies from the Old One's Army are purely decorative and do not grant a buff. The number of kills required to get a Banner from this event depends on the enemy's frequency: common enemies need a higher number of kills.
- 1 Slimes
- 2 Environments
- 3 Events
- 4 Old-gen console version, Mobile version, and 3DS version variants
- 5 Unobtainable
- 6 Effect on Damage Calculation
- 7 Notes
- 8 Trivia
- 9 History
Slimes[edit | edit source]
Environments[edit | edit source]
Cavern Sub-Biomes[edit | edit source]
Corruption[edit | edit source]
Crimson[edit | edit source]
Rain/Blizzard[edit | edit source]
Note: Unlike other enemy banners, banners dropped by Old One's Army enemies do not provide buffs.
Old-gen console version, Mobile version, and 3DS version variants[edit | edit source]
The item(s) or effects described in this section exist as functional game items, but cannot be acquired through normal gameplay.
Effect on Damage Calculation[edit | edit source]
Since banners affect base damage rather than the calculation after defense is taken into account, 10 final damage does not just become 15 or 20 damage but can vary greatly.
This also applies to other player and weapon damage modifiers but not player damage reduction ones.
The real effect of banners grows the bigger the values are as well as how close Base Damage and Damage Reduction are. The lower and further apart, the closer the effect is to the original values.
As an example for Expert Mode, Weapon Damage 50 and Enemy Defense 80 (40 Damage Reduction):
- 50*2-40 = 60 damage dealt instead of (50-40)*2 = 20 damage.
For Normal Mode, same values:
- 50*1.5-40 = 35 damage dealt instead of 20 damage.
Example for damage dealt to the player, Expert Mode, 100 Damage, Player Defense 80 (60 Damage Reduction):
- 100*0.5-60 = Minus 10 damage (1 damage) instead of (100-60)*0.5 = 30 damage.
In normal Mode, Enemy Base Damage is usually halved, Player Defense 80 (40 Damage Reduction):
- 50*0.75-40 = Minus 2.5 damage (1 damage) instead of (50-40)*0.75 = 7.5 Damage.
High Damage Example, fictional since no melee attack hits as hard as a Pirate Captain's Cannon Ball:
400 Damage, Titanium Armor 49 Defense (36.75 Damage Reduction). Original Damage 363.25.
- 400*0.5-36.75 = 164 (45% of the original damage) instead of simply 50% of the damage.
Upping the Player Defense by 24 to 73 (54.75 Damage Reduction). 345.25 Original Damage.
- 400*0.5-54.75 = 145.25 (42% of the original damage).
The effect in Expert can easily grow to the point where one can kill a Wyvern in one or two multi-hits with a banner when one had to previously dance with it (10+ hits) and the very same weapon.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If your inventory is full when you get a banner, it will drop beside you.
- Bosses don't have banners. Instead, they have Trophies. These do not however grant any buffs.
- If an NPC lands the killing blow on an enemy that would have dropped a banner, the last player to hit the enemy receives the banner.
- The effective range of the buffs from banners is based on the center of your view, not where your character is positioned. This can be proved by using Binoculars and Sniper Scope.
- Banners can be hung off platforms which are in their bottom position (after being struck three times with a hammer).
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Each banner may be placed in a right- or left-facing orientation, but this is decided by which tile column in the world the banner is placed. Placing it one block to the left or right will flip the orientation.
- The left half of the Nymph Banner is of the Lost Girl "NPC", while the right half is the Nymph monster.
- The Martian Probe, Dungeon Guardian, Crimtane Bunny, Crimtane Goldfish, and Vicious Penguin have no banners.
- Moss Hornets share a banner counter with their pre-Hardmode counterparts.
- For enemies with projectile attacks such as Hornets, the damage reduction ONLY applies to their melee attacks; players still take full damage from the projectiles.
- The Hoplite and Medusa Banners are the only banners that do not show a picture of the monster on it. Instead, each resemble dark green banners with golden Greek patterns, with the Hoplite and Medusa Banners having a picture of a helm and snake on them respectively.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.5:
- Updated graphics for Ice Bat, Lava Bat, and Giant Flying Fox banners.
- Fixed inconsistent naming for Sand Poacher and Granite Golem banners.
- Desktop 1.3.1: Fixed Crawltipede Banner not being obtainable.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Banners are now given to the player landing the last hit on the enemy instead of the nearest player.
- Skeleton Mage Banner and Spider Banner have been renamed to accurately reflect against which enemies they will buff you in combat. (Now named Dark Caster Banner and Wall Creeper Banner.)
- Enemies should no longer count towards tally counters / banners if no player has touched them before they died (i.e. random enemy deaths by lava pool no longer count).
- Fixed banners not applying to melee hits (swords, flails, axes, pickaxes, etc)
- Fixed certain banners turning into other banners when placed in multiplayer.
- Fixed a large multitude of variation NPCs not dropping their banners / counting tally.
- Fixed Goblin Archer not counting tally / dropping his banner.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- Banners are no longer dropped with a 0.5% chance, but instead drop every 50th kill of an enemy. The banner is then placed into the inventory of the player that killed it without the need to pick it up.
- Enemy Banners now empower players nearby when facing the same enemy displayed on the banner. You get increased damage and defense.
- Added many new banners including Lava Bat Banner, Jungle Bat Banner, Lava Slime Banner and many more.
- Console 1.02: Added 10 new banners, each dropped by console/mobile-exclusive enemies.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Introduced 87 new banners, each dropped by enemies.