Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Cactus plant[edit | edit source]
|Pink Prickly Pear atop a Corrupted cactus.|
The cactus plant grows in Desert biomes on all types of Sand. Cactus plants can be harvested using an axe or chainsaw, which causes Cactus items to drop. Mining or hammering a Sand Block beneath a cactus plant will destroy the entire plant and yield all possible Cactus items. Putting a sand block up to one of the stems, right under it, and then cutting the main cactus body, will make the branch a new cactus. Corruption, Crimson, and Hallow cacti will all drop the same Cactus items when harvested.
Cacti will sometimes grow Pink Prickly Pears on their tops.
Conditions[edit | edit source]
Cactus Plants are not planted and will only grow under the following conditions:
- There needs to be at least one layer of sand below it.
- The cactus requires one space of open ground to either side. A raised tile will block growth, but a lower tile will not.
- The sand it grows on needs to be above zero depth.
- They only grow at least 378 blocks away from the edges of the world, i.e. not in the zone where the Ocean biome can be generated.
Cactus item[edit | edit source]
Cactus is a crafting material obtained by harvesting Cactus plants, in the same manner as trees. It can also be harvested by mining or hammering a Sand Block below the base of the cactus. In addition to crafting, Cactus can be used as a building material.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
It takes 258 Cactus to craft all items.
Recipe[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The most effective way of selling Cactus is to make it into Cactus Swords.
- Because of how easy it is to get massive amounts of Cacti, crafting Cactus Swords until obtaining one with the Legendary modifier is easy, lucrative, and very useful in the early game.
- Because of the -1 range attribute on the Copper Pickaxe, the Cactus Pickaxe becomes a viable early-game alternative since it does not have this drawback and, due to the availability of cacti, is also quick and easy to obtain.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Terraria cactus is designed after the saguaro, a cactus species found in North America noted for its "arms" and exceptional overall size.
- Neither the plant nor the placed item deal contact damage to any entity, although it used to before 1.1.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.2.3:
- Desktop 1.2:
- Desktop 1.1: No longer damages players (used to cause 10 damage).
- Desktop 1.0.6: No longer causes knockback when damaging players and no longer destroys blocks above when growing.