|Desktop/Console/Mobile-Only Content: This information applies only to the desktop, console, and mobile versions of Terraria.|
|Internal NPC ID: 368|
The Traveling Merchant is a unique NPC vendor who randomly visits the player's town for one day. His inventory is randomized and different every visit, selling 4-10 / 4-11 (average 5.5 / 6 ) different items listed below
In order for the Traveling Merchant to spawn, at least 2 other NPCs must already be present. The Guide counts as one of these, but the Old Man and Skeleton Merchant do not. He won't spawn during Events (except Rain and Slime Rain). He does not require his own house in order to spawn, and will instead spawn near existing NPCs, spending the day walking around near them.
Once the criteria are met, the Traveling Merchant has a 25% chance (1/4) of spawning each day, appearing at a random time between 4:30 AM and 12 PM. He stays for only one day at a time, after which he leaves at 6:00 PM. He despawns if the world is vacated before that time,
Items sold[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The actual "roll" to spawn the Traveling Merchant is not performed once-per-day as a Goblin Invasion or other Event is determined. Rather, the roll is performed once per in-game second for the first half of each day. There are 60 in-game seconds per 1 real-world second.
- For each in-game second of the first half of each day (4:30am – 12:00pm = 7.5 hours = 27,000 seconds), there is a 1 in 108,000 chance to spawn the Traveling Merchant. Thus, the Traveling Merchant has a: 1-(1-1/108000)^27000 = 0.2212001339 or 22.12% chance of arriving each day.
- This means that if you want a specific item from the Traveling Merchant but he arrived without that particular item you can simply kill him and there's a chance that another merchant may spawn if you killed him before 12:00pm. An easy way to kill him (and any other friendly NPC) is with a boulder if you already got the Goblin Tinkerer (you need the Tinkerer's Workshop to craft it), otherwise your best option is lava or spiky balls. (Rotten Eggs may work although they’re not that effective.)
- The Traveling Merchant departs by simply disappearing while off-screen. If the player keeps him on-screen during the time when he would normally depart, he will remain until he is off-screen again. If he is kept on-screen until dawn, he will not depart until he is off-screen the following evening. This does NOT, however, change his inventory.
- The Traveling Merchant does not leave during events.Verify
- The Travelling Merchant, like other NPCs, will be about 3 feetVerify above the ground when he spawns, giving the appearance of falling from the sky.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Many of the things he sells are of Asian origin, often from the Qing Dynasty.
- Many of his wares may be a reference to the East India company, and to the goods that were brought to Europe during the age of discovery in general.
- The name Willy is most likely a reference to the play, "The Death of a Salesman", by Arthur Miller, where the main character is named Willy Loman and is a traveling salesman.
- One of his quotes is a reference to a man who yells "One pound fish!" to sell fish, popularized by the song "One Pound Fish".
- The quote "Combination hookah and coffee maker! Also makes julienne fries!" Is an allusion to the popular animated disney film "Aladdin".
- The item "Not a Kid, Nor a Squid" is likely a reference to Splatoon, a Wii U game with a hyperactive advertisement featuring the line "You're a kid, you're a squid" due to the transformative nature of Inklings, as a play on the depicted Moon Lord's Cthulhu-esque nature.
- The Item, "The Truth is Up There" is a reference to "The X-Files", this quote is a twist on "The Truth is Out There".
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Combination hookah and coffee maker! Also makes julienne fries!"
- "A thrift shop? No, I am only selling the highest quality items on the market."
- "I don't refund for "buyer's remorse..." Or for any other reason, really."
- "If you're looking for junk, you've come to the wrong place."
- "I sell wares from places that might not even exist!"
- "Hmm, you look like you could use an Angel Statue! They slice, and dice, and make everything nice!"
- "Come and have a look! One pound fish! Very very good! One pound fish!" (Possibly a reference to the song One Pound Fish.)
- "Buy now, and get free shipping!"
- "You want two penny farthings!? Make it one and we have a deal."
When Guide is present:
- "Meet me behind [Name of Guide]'s house in about three hours, I think I have something you will find very appealing."
When Clothier is present:
- "I only sell what I can get. [Name of Clothier] keeps hounding me for exotic clothing."
When Merchant is present:
- "That [Name of Merchant], he really has no appreciation for a really good deal."
During a Party
- "Many say that parties give you the richest of memories. So buy something and make this memory rich!"
Names[edit | edit source]
The Traveling Merchant may have any of the following names:
See also[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Console 1.08: Added Capes (Winter Cape, Mysterious Cape, Red Cape,and Crimson Cloak), and Diamond Ring.
- Console 1.07 Holiday Update: Introduced Traveling Merchant, and his vendor items from 1.2.3 and 18.104.22.168 (with the exception of the Angel Halo, capes, and Diamond Ring).
- 22.214.171.124: Now sells animal skins.
- 126.96.36.199: The Traveling Merchant can no longer spawn in lava. Fixed bug where Queen/King Statues didn't teleport the Stylist and Traveling Merchant, respectively.
- 1.2.3: Introduced.